View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #51
jeff2
Jeff2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Dot_E30 View Post
Yes you're right everyone has an opinion and a point of view, but some are more thought out or valid than others.

I assume you don't want to put snow tires on to save money. But in reality you aren't really saving any money...., 1) AWD versions usually cost more. But assuming you find one that cost the same (either older or higher mileage). Then you are still not taking into account that 2) AWDs will cost more to maintain 3) burn more gas and 4) replacement parts are sometimes harder to find/more costly. A set of snows are cheap when you start taking these costs into consideration.

There are a lots of valid reasons or preferences for AWD, but I don't think trying to avoid snow tires due to costs is one of them. Most/some accidents happen due to failure to stop, which AWD won't help you with.

Thanks for the reply. A few things, first your assumption is wrong and I'm quite surprised you didn't "get" it. I was not making any reference to the cost of getting snow tires. I just don't want the hassle of changing them. Second, BMWs in general are expensive to maintain and gas cost are obviously higher. Those are factors someone would consider before buying. Lastly, I'm trying to understand what value you bring to this thread as you don't seem to be too objective IE. look at both sides, provide options, experience etc. The original poster is asking for input to help make a decision.

Last edited by jeff2; 12-29-2012 at 04:19 PM.