View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #21
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Unfit does not allow you to get a temp.

Unfit is basically to get the vehicle in your name, you can't plate it until you get a safety and e-test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Like posted before, you can get it palted with a safety. E-est can be done later, it will have the "T" sticker, and Temp status.
I know for a fact that several years ago you didn't need a safety or e-test to get a temp permit, because I had one to get the car certified. Can't remember exactly how unfit/fit played a role.

According to info on the ministry site, you still can get a temp permit without a safety:
http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ate-validation

Quote:
To get a temporary plate validation you must provide the following documents:

- The current vehicle permit, indicating that the vehicle’s status is “Fit.” If the vehicle permit is not registered in your name, the back of the permit must be completed and signed by the previous owner
- A Used Vehicle Information Package (if you bought the vehicle through a private sale)
- The name of your insurance company and the policy number for the vehicle
existing licence plates (if available) along with the plate portion of the vehicle permit
- A $15.00 fee for the permit
- Owners must pay all outstanding fees – including unpaid highway tolls, unpaid parking fines and Not Sufficient Funds (NSFs) – before receiving a temporary permit.
From this I take it you can still get a temp plate as long as when the seller gives you and signs the ownership it is in a 'fit' state. If you buy an unfit car, then yes you are correct you can't get a temp sticker without a safety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Dealer plates are god. We can do whatever we want.
Until you get caught