View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
BigD
the misanthropist

I think his main problem is that he believes that your results is all you need to speak for you. It just doesn't work like that in politics and the further he goes, the more the sensationalism business... I mean "news", salivates at his behavior. He tells you what he thinks, he does what he feels is right, with no explanation or qualification. From there it's just bullying. The tabloids, I mean news agencies, chomp at every bit of half truth that pops up about him, makes a massive, world ending deal out of it, knowing that he won't waste his time holding press conferences, explaining everything, making them look stupid. Then by the time it turns out to be nothing, there's no follow up or apology, since they know the lemmings don't really care about truth, they just want entertainment, so they move on to the next thing.

I think he's done. You can't survive in politics this way, you have to think about how anything you do could be perceived and used against you - he thinks about what's the right thing to do. It's like that scene from Contact with the exchange between Tom Skerritt's character and Jodie Foster's:
-I know you must think this is all very unfair. Maybe that's an understatement. What you don't know is I agree. I wish the world was a place where fair was the bottom line, where the kind of idealism you showed at the hearing was rewarded, not taken advantage of. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world.

-Funny, I've always believed that the world is what we make of it.

So when did it become cool to do this? When it became cool for people to make snap judgement based on incomplete information, because it's entertaining. Like this whole bus thing. It wasn't until now that the police came out and said the mayor had nothing to do with the bus being called. If the tabloids cared about getting the story right, one phone call to the cops, and they would have had it cleared up. But it doesn't work that way anymore, lemmings need to be fascinated, so they can then chirp about the gossip and be interesting. Man I hate people.