View Single Post
Old 09-30-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
calegrant
6th Gear Member

Because the black market cigarette market is anywhere near comparable to that of hard drugs? Get real. Do not try and compare violence associated with black market tobacco with that of illegal drugs, there is no comparison.

Quote:
A UN report said "the global drug trade generated an estimated US$321.6 billion in 2003.
I wonder what percentage of that is res smokes Would love to see a comparison of the sales between illegal tobacco and taxed legal tobacco. If you'd like to shatter your own argument, feel free to do the search. I know I don't need to bother looking because there is nothing to compare. One is but a fraction of a fraction of the other.

Profit is not profit when mass legal production kicks in making the product extremely cheap compared to how it is now. Do you really think pot will be going for $200/oz when Marlboro is growing it in record numbers in huge warehouses?

Go read about prohibition in the United States, the influx of organized crime and the aftermath once it was repealed.

Quote:
When repeal of Prohibition occurred in 1933, organized crime lost nearly all of its black market alcohol profits in most states (states still had the right to enforce their own laws concerning alcohol consumption) because of competition with low-priced alcohol sales at legal liquor stores.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibi..._United_States

Again, arguing for the sake of arguing me thinks.

Last edited by calegrant; 09-30-2012 at 11:31 PM.
calegrant is offline   Reply With Quote