View Single Post
Old 09-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #29
HavocSteve
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRASIR View Post
Young and ambitious... I like that. The only thing you are missing is a reality check.

From a consulting point of view you might bring $100-120 per hour for a short term contract which would equal your 250k/year (if you don't count statutory holidays, vacation, etc) but the reality is it's simple economics: supply and demand. And there's plenty of supply out there. Gone are the days of the Y2K bubble - everyone is an architect nowadays. Hence, your 250k/year is just the usual, I know a guy, that knows a guy, that makes 150 bucks an hour and does nothing all day...it's a dream. There may be an odd few people making this money short term but why pay someone 100 an hour when the same job can be done for 20 in India? And the scary thing, a lot of the times this job can be done even better than locally, after all there's 1.2 billion ppl to choose from vs 30mil...

Now if you were in a niche sector like IT security or "user experience" you might get away with a higher rate contract for a short term but the reality is it's not sustainable. You may make 100 bucks an hour for 6 months but then you'll sit without work for the next 6 months because the economy is in recession or some other market downtime...

And there is the other side of the coin: ever heard a saying "programmers are born, not made"? People do not get smarter with age and experience, they only get wiser....

just some $.02
I understand where you are coming from. Do the people you know, know where to look? Where to find these kinds of jobs? Where there's plenty of opportunities to make 250k+ a year? I know where to look, names and contacts of people. Getting someone from India for 20k per year is wrong. Ciena (IT and patent company) pays them twice as much for a 6 month contract. My gf's uncle @ Oracle is getting closer to 200k per year and is just shy. It's not unachievable. If you believe you'll only make 50k per year, then by all means, have that mindset. But I for one want want to make @ least 100k+. Would it strike you if I told you, that my mother who is a RN makes around 120k per year? She's not a doctor. When her co-workers make 60k? If your a go-getter, you'll what you want. Who you think is paying for my college so I come out debt free? Love my mom