View Single Post
Old 07-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #429
sb_600
5th Gear Member

When I was at Tremblant with 8Legs/CTCC I chatted for a while with the one and only Massive Lee (does brake stuff, look him up). He sells a brake booster delete kit that was made famous for e30s, and only recently started manufacturing them for e36s.

Well a bit later that day I was offered a deal on a kit that my buddy had bought from him but changed his mind, and I couldn't pass it up. It's something I had been meaning to do but was on the fence about how I wanted to go about it (debating whether i was going to delete the booster and fab up a bracket running the stock MC, or buy the ML kit & a new MC).

With Massive Lee's kit, you need to buy an e30/porsche master cylinder because the e36 one doesn't bolt up. He did that on purpose, because the stock MC is too big (25.6mm bore), and you don't get the "ideal" pedal feel (you need a 19-21mm bore for roughly a 6:1 pedal ratio).

So I bought a new master cylinder from 8Legs, and picked up a used resevoir tank from europarts. I had to grab some line unions from Part Source as well.

The install went pretty well - had to drill the pedal, weld on some shims, and then mount everything up. hardest part was getting the rod trimmed to the right size, but that went relatively well too. Andrea helped me bleed the brakes friday night, and then afterwards asked if I would ever let her drive the car.... I think I'm slowly winning her over

I had a lapping night at Calabogie Saturday hosted by Midnight Runs, and that was the big test. The brakes were awesome - it took a bit of getting used to, but they felt SO good once I got the hang of it. I found the pedal travel a bit longer than my previous, but it made heel-toeing easier, and it was much more progressive - I could actually feel the pedal! I basically had to put the pedal to the floor to get them to lock up, so I'm pretty excited about getting more track time with this setup.

Sunday I had the autoX, and they did well there too!

Videos will be coming in the next few days!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0320.jpg (179.6 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0321.jpg (160.8 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0323.jpg (172.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0328.jpg (202.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0329.jpg (182.9 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0330.jpg (173.7 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0334.jpg (143.9 KB, 136 views)
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote