Thread: e-test help
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 AM   #5
if I lived . I would be ~
everlast's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,847
Originally Posted by goldhawk View Post
Any car older then 1999 can be registered as a hot rod if it has any driveline part on it that wasn't originally available on the car (this can be as simple as a new diff). I think its up to the discretion of the inspecting tech though.
Not quite:

“hot rod” means a motor vehicle in which the original motor has been replaced with a motor of a type not installed by the manufacturer on that model of motor vehicle for the model year designated for the motor vehicle by the manufacturer;
(2) A hot rod that receives a motor replacement on or after January 1, 1999, shall receive a motor designed to meet emission standards at least as stringent as those achieved by the original motor with all its original emission control equipment attached and functioning, and the replacement motor shall have the original catalytic converter and all the original emission control equipment, or equivalent replacements, included or usually included with the replacement motor by the manufacturer of the motor. O. Reg. 361/98, s. 4 (2); O. Reg. 86/99, s. 3.
So, "hot rod" status doesn't work. I spoke to the Driveclean call center about this. They now get shops to test for either the car body year, or the motor swapped vehicle year, whichever is more stringent.

Honestly, just get some cats.
everlast is offline   Reply With Quote