View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #54
ryan_george
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by traffik View Post
Yes Bullet ride, That is absolutely correct, A wastegate is used to control boost pressure in turbocharged engines. The waste gate is a valve that bypasses exhaust gas around the turbine wheel of the turbocharger. It is the flow of exhaust gas that causes the turbo to spin which produces boost pressure. In a simplified view, the more exhaust gas the higher the boost pressure. The waste gate opens to vary the amount of exhaust gas that reaches the turbo, which controls the turbo speed and hence the boost pressure. If the wastegate is in the direct path of the exhaust flow then it will possably allow less exhaust gasses into the turbo and more out of the waste gate, which will cause the boost to drop off after the wastegate opens fully. I hope this helps.

But on the other hand, you want a very clean path to the wastegate to prevent over boosting. And the wastegate (at least this one) isn't like an on/off switch. As the boost level is approached it will start to crack open and slightly bleed off pressure. As more boost continues to build it will open further, etc etc. I understand your concern but this is a fairly small wastegate and it's not an issue at all for this application.

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
Not that I know any better, but if that happened wouldn't the signal to the WG drop, causing it to partially close thus causing boost to build back up again and finally reach an equilibrium?
My thoughts as well