View Single Post
Old 12-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #18
RedEye
Hater of Previous Owners

Problem solving is a big part of my job, unfortunately. Most of the time I have to undo several other peoples' work before I can do my own. I even have my own slogan: "Doing it right, so you don't have to!"

I don't have any good pics of my favourite bike since I finished putting it together just in time for a few rides before winter, but here it is anyway in all its frankenbike glory. 1998 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, with the complete front end from a new zero-mileage Kawasaki ZX-14R, CBR1000RR front brake calipers and master, Danmoto 3d adjustable bars, SS brake lines, Pazzo knockoff levers, Akrapovic Supersport header with Yoshimura TRC-D can, Corbin Smuggler seat, Mavryk Designs lithium-iron battery, Factory Pro adjustable ignition advancer . . . I'm probably forgetting a few things, and the project's hardly begun It's a pretty good overview of how I go about things -- functional awesomeness first, cosmetics when I get around to it.

Stock: note the giant, heavy, indestructible twin torpedo exhaust, conventional (undersprung, nonadjustable) forks and the old school front brake calipers:

Work in progress:

I got the exhaust bits dirt cheap because of some crash damage (fixable), and scoured ebay for the best deals on most of the rest. The whole exhaust weighs less than one of the stock cans and is much less restrictive; the LiFePo battery weighs 1.6 lbs vs 8+ stock, and the new front end has inverted forks fully adjustable for preload, compression, and rebound plus radial brakes. Fitting the ZX forks required custom fab work on the steering stops and ignition cylinder mount, plus making spacers for the brake calipers and top steering stem bearing.

Of course the bodywork is trashed (not my doing) and with the ZX-14 front fender it now has 3 different colours going . . . I'll get around to it one of these days. I have to admit I love my uber-beaterbike.

But anyway, back to the E30
RedEye is offline   Reply With Quote