View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 11:43 PM   #11
paddyhong
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodles101 View Post
head gasket job is 100 bucks on the civic??
Parts alone. And while you have everything apart, mind as well do the timing belt/water pump and shops I know usually charge around 150-200 bucks in labour and it takes about 2 hours to do if you've done it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daonhathai View Post
Sell both cars, buy something without issues.
Also something else I've thought about but I'd rather do it myself so I learn about my car. Not afraid to ask if I screw up either. Everyone starts somewhere. Same thing happened with the Civic. Same thing will happen with the E36, when the time comes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Care to elaborate on the 200whp figure, the only power mod you listed was a CAI?

-Pads and rotors for an E36 will probably run around $400, but that's not a big surprise because the E36 has bigger brakes than the civic.
-pcv...wouldn't worry about it
-spark plugs... anywhere from $30-$60 depending on the quality.... you do have 2 more plugs than the civic
- there is no timing belt on E36 it's timing chain thats a plus, water pump $75
-head gasket...wouldn't worry about it
200whp is from c.a.i, exhaust and chipped ecu and that was stated by the previous owner. It does feel like it has around the same pull as an 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX so it's not off by much. Also don't know what chip/tune is in there at the moment. Keep forgetting to look.

Thanks for giving me a comparison. Exactly what I'm looking for. That's actually not bad. I guess I'm looking at the wrong place for parts then lol I knew the E36 has a chain instead of a belt but what on what occasion will the chain need to be replaced and how much does it usually cost?

Last edited by paddyhong; 12-24-2011 at 12:19 AM.
paddyhong is offline   Reply With Quote