View Single Post
Old 12-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
South
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by calegrant View Post
We could, but you answered it yourself....we have more resources and the means by which to harvest and process them. Comparing our situation to that of nations where the vast majority live well below the poverty line is simply unrealistic. If you wish for your standard of living to be maintained, it is going to take decades for the technology capable of making serious changes to be developed. Kyoto was done under great intentions, but suffered from huge flaws such as the labelling of some huge polluters (and damn wealthy) as developing holding them responsible for little. It also did not account for nations such as Canada with huge pools of resources, we're expected to just sit on them? Sorry, but that's not entirely realistic either.

Change needs to occur yes, but the punishments need to applied to private industry and those who are becoming billionaires not tax paying citizens.
Well in my original post I also linked and quoted that among the 140 countries that signed the accord, 30 were industrialized. Again I agree with the tax on citizens this accord brings, but if our government taxes the billionaires of corporations that public tax can be offset no? and when these resources we have can be developed but sustainably no? why do we have to cut corners to increase our growth even more? You think I or the rest of the world cares if our standard of living stays the same at the benefit of saving the environment? Again you said it yourself our standard of living is increasing but only for the elites and executives no?
South is online now   Reply With Quote