View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Mystikal
Moderator/Event-Coordinator

Arrow Winter Special: OEM BMW Short Shifter + Bushing Replacement

Sloppy shifters are a used BMW plague. The shifter action when new is crisp, has little side-to-side play, and overall is a pleasure to operate. Over time, the rubber bushings inside of the shifter assembly wear out and you're left with a spoon in a bucket of mayo. Bring the driving pleasure back with our new OEM short shift lever + shifter bushings combo.

The "545i" shift lever is an interesting gem. Dinan was actually purchasing these in bulk and marketing them as their own short shifter - it's that good. Shift throws are significantly reduced in most BMW applications while the feel and effort stay stock-like. Few aftermarket kits manage to balance these traits, and the ones that do cost $299+ USD for the parts alone. Spend less, get a great product with no-excuses OEM quality.

Our special introductory price for this package is $199+HST for most applications. We have combined the most wear-prone bushings with the lever and installation for one easy package deal. Here is what is included:

o OEM BMW E60 Shift Lever
o Oval/Round Bearing Bushing
o Shifter Arm Bearing
o Securing Clips
o Labour

You can also combine this package with other great deals:
Add a transmission fluid change (OEM Pentosin or Redline D4 fluid) or an engine oil service (LL-01 oil & OEM filter) for just $89+HST each.

Here's a few reviews of the shift lever, pulled from forums:

Quote:
Impressions:
I originally purchased the Z3M shifter last year, but sold due to concerns of notchiness and shifting effort. In reading reviews about the E60 shifter as an unbranded Dinan shifter, I was skeptical at how much improvement I would actually notice. After the install you can immediately feel the difference in the throws. The shifts are 100% more crisps (click click click between gears) and the knob sits about 1/2 inch below the OE lever. For the ~$70 I paid for this mod, I was more than pleasantly surprised. The "side to side" slop is eliminated, and the shifts are like butter. The "rubber" feel of the OE lever has been eliminated completely. I was ultimately looking for the shortest throw and shortest knob height, but what this E60 lever delivers is PERFECT. I would have been unhappy with the Z3M. You can't beat this mod for the price. For those who feel that the Dinan counterpart is on the expensive side, I urge you to give this one a try. And when I say the throws are reduced, I'm talking dramatic enough to know you have an SSK while maintaining the OE appeal.
Quote:
Another 545i Short Shifter Review... blown away!

The amount of slop in my 112,000 mile 540i shifter was absolutely awful. It had that long "toilet plunger" feel to it and a ton of back and forth play in neutral and in-gear.

I was a bit skeptical that the 545i shifter and new bushing would solve these problems, but after the install I was blown away!

I also installed the shorter, weighted M-Sport knob and made sure to use a liberal amount of lube on the shifter bushing. The shifting is so firm and precise, it is the only shifter I've felt that is literally like a bolt action rifle. It's much shorter than stock and each shift feels so positive and perfect.

I have a completely solid (metal spherical ball and bushings, all metal no plastic) $200+ shifter on my 2001 Audi S4 and I could only wish it felt as good as this 545i shifter. I know many have said it already, but if you haven't already done this mod, stop waiting and DO IT NOW! It lives up to the hype and so much more.
Call us at 647-889-9554 or email jay@stancefactory.com for appointments and inquiries. Thanks!

@stancejay