View Single Post
Old 11-27-2011, 01:37 PM   #24
InfiniteDice
14 Years with the E30

Sometimes no matter how safe you are things happen... that's the way it is.

Every year I seem to tell someone that I drove through a few horrible winter storms with 0 visibility at times, I passed 3 or 4 transport trucks, jeeps, subarus, some of them upside down. There I go past them at 120 kph in my nearly ancient car with no jee whiz gadgets. I wouldn't want to crash in my car that's for sure, but it's all about how comfortable you are in the car, and knowing what the limits are. If you see a car in the ditch let off the gas and coast it, there could be ice under the snow. If a rabbit runs across the road in bad weather... hit the rabbit. If you are in a slide and you can't save it, point the car at a curb or ditch. Better that then tail-ending someone.

Last year with winter tires I had to try to make it slide to have some fun, too much grip.

Generally speaking the city bombards the highways and roads with all kinds of salt and crap. In the city except on the worst of days all-seasons will do. I don't know what the deal is... I've only had dedicated winter wheels for the past 3 years. All the other years of living up north I had all seasons and let me tell you the winter is 10x worse up there.

My suggestion is that if you drive on smaller 2 lane highways or out in the middle of nowhere up north then get really good winter tires.

If you are scared of ice go ahead and get ice tires, ice tires are not deep snow tires and you'll most likely get stuck just as easy in deep snow.

Further north keep a set of tire chains in the trunk, the town I was in was all ice/snow roads. I drove on chains with the e30 for months, not over 25-30 and not on pavement. Expect to replace the rear shock mounts, but you'll never get stuck unless you hang the car.

I'll be heading up north to pick up my boy on Dec 26th or 27th. Sometimes it's Valdor, sometimes it's Waskaganish (1500km). That's when I go, come hell or high water. I don't care if there is a blizzard or if it's -45. I've done it at least 20 times in the winter and I've always made it in the e30.

Performance one step at a time.

Last edited by InfiniteDice; 11-27-2011 at 01:52 PM.
InfiniteDice is offline   Reply With Quote