More progress was made this weekend:
The engine is in and all closed up! It's been filled with oil - all i'm waiting for is a power steering hose and then I can put the front end back on the car. I swapped the 18# injectors from the M50 manifold to the 24# injectors that came with the M52, and connected all the sensors and coolant hoses. Everything should be good to go.
On the wiring side, I need to finish up sorting out my fusebox, and then that should be ok as well.
Also, I found out what was wrong with my old engine - not only was the valve bent, but a piston was chipped as well! Chris is going to mix and match parts from the two engines to build something solid for his e30.
It's getting close - I'm hoping for a start by the end of the week