View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 AM   #71
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Some pics of the front steering system & subframe (new control arms, tie rods, reinforced subframe).

The engine is in!

It was a bit of a frustrating process, but it is now in it's new home.

First was the pilot bearing in the transmission. Then, Wednesday night, I press the bearing in and am about to bolt the transmission on when the plastic guide pin that holds the throwout bearing fork falls out! Thankfully, Arek had an extra at his shop, so I was able to bolt the transmission on the engine.

Last night was the transplant. The aluminum engine mounts I bought were made to drop the engine by 15mm in order to lower the center of gravity. Well apparently then dropped the engine by over 20mm and it was resting on the subframe and power steering rack. A few shims later, and we were in business. Now that seems easy enough, but the reality was tightening those mounts down was a pain in my a$$! The new headers fit differently and sit right above the engine mounts so it's impossible to get a socket over it. No problem, I'll just remove the header. Not that easy either - apparently the front header doesn't come off unless the rear header does too! After fighting with that, SUCCESS! Next steps include plumbing, wiring, and installing the intake system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07563.JPG (183.4 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07561.JPG (198.9 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07576.JPG (166.1 KB, 262 views)
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote