View Single Post
Old 09-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #16
pissedcustom
1st Gear Newbie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTO View Post
WOW! That is amazing! Kudos to the technician. I can only imagine the tear down to find the source of the noise. creaks and groans are by far the biggest nightmare for any mechanic. how do they even claim the hours hunting for the source of the noise. and they may create other issues when taking things apart.

too bad it had to go to the very top.
ChrisTO - You must be a mechanic for BMW. I'm not sure I explained the situation very well. I took it in FOUR times to the dealer. The first time I drove with them and they heard the noise and where it was located. The took apart the back where the noise was coming from and if you look at the picture in the report (link is there for you to download) they covered up most of the plastic parts that were likely taking part in making the noise. But it is very obvious they didn't cover one of them that kept making the noise. The next THREE times I took it in I asked them to do the same thing and recover and extend the felt to as many contact points as possible. If they had actually taken it apart again they would have seen that one of the parts was not covered. They obviously did not want to take the time to do it so they didn't - they just made excuses. This issue could have been solved over a year ago if they had done what I asked them to do. They were apparently more concerned about non-warranty repairs.

Once i got the President's attention, his mechanic fixed the issue right away. It was not difficult at all. And it seems to be a widespread problem and an issue with the mold that is in all the 3-series sedans for the past few years. People probably just tune out the noise. Trust me, this is going to become a big issue when people understand that it is an issue with a lot of cars and the only reason BMW doesn't want it to get out is that it will cost them a lot of money to repair it.
pissedcustom is offline   Reply With Quote