Thread: Someone Should
View Single Post
Old 02-27-2010, 03:23 AM   #574
chromius
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlast View Post
I think if I had to do it again, I'd replace the entire rad assembly with an all aluminum setup. They're not really that much more are they?

Otherwise, its a case of you gotta pay to play. Not much out there competes for the price point of a 540i right now.

Perhaps in the next few years the some of the big motor Mercs might be a good deal for a suitable replacement for the V8 e39, but I bet they'll be just as bad for repairs.
Yeah I agree, and I've been seriously considering the zionsville aluminium rad setup, but I'm on the fence as to whether it would be worth it. For just the Rad it's I think around $650, but that doesn't address the other issues like the expansion tank and plastic hose connectors. Funny enough, I've had all the normal cooling system failures except for the rad, it's been the only solid piece. The whole zionsville system to replace the rad, fan and expansion tank is like $1200, which is pretty steep, and for the same money could replace the stock components several times over, so who knows. But I'm definitely due for a rad, it's now 6 years old

The problem I see with the mercs is that it's really difficult to find them with manual transmissions, and for me anyway, that's really important.