View Single Post
Old 07-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #22
6th Gear Member
Originally Posted by Nick_V View Post
Actually, the Bull and Terrier breeds are some of the smartest (not to mention best-looking) dogs around. The downside of this is that their intelligence, tenacity, and (as I said above) pugnacity, combined with their raw power, can make them dangerous in the hands of a novice owner. Their desire for independence is often mistaken for stupidity or the inability to be trained, and can often get them into trouble (as evidenced in the OP). They require a huge commitment and a strong will/hand on the owner's part, but if properly trained they are, IMO, the best dogs to have. The really mean ones are the ones who don't get the proper balance of love and discipline from their owners.

I totally agree with you that MANY Pitbull owners are idiots, but it bothers me when people make such broad generalizations about the breed, cause it's not their fault. The fact that they've been outlawed in Ontario still blows my mind.
I would not call them best looking...but other than that i completely agree!
They are actually quite friendly from day one too and allot easier to train than say a doberman.
One thing though..there is no "best dog" to train. Each breed is suitable for different jobs and different locations. E.g. you would not have a Malamute in Africa. Or mini doberman for a guard dog.
One thing i know from the bull group dogs is that if trained properly and its generally in their nature that they do not provoke or attack other dogs and are extremelly dedicated to their owner!

"Lo there do I see my father.
Lo there do I see my mother.
Lo there do I see my brothers and my sisters.
Lo there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning.
Lo they do call to me
they bid me take my place among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
where the brave may live forever"

Last edited by magnus; 07-04-2009 at 09:14 AM.
magnus is offline   Reply With Quote