View Single Post
Old 03-23-2008, 09:02 PM   #1
tominizer
6th Gear Member

X5 battery drain issues - what I've found out.

Our X5 woke us up early one morning with the alarm blazing......... and remote not working........... X5 not starting. Ended up the battery was dead. Wife said get a new battery. Being a genius () I went to the internet first and surfed the issue hoping to find other *stranded* X5-ers out there. And I did. There are some issues.

Anyways, the one that interested me the most was that our AC/Heater cabin fan was *huffing* at times. This is the final stage (heater) resistor announcing that it's pouched and wants to be replaced. What I didn't know is that this POS part also can cause your battery to go dead.

So, first off to Crappy Tires to have the battery tested. She was still good and usable. Then off to the Stealership for the FSR part and after unloading my wallet of $100 plus tax, I set off home to fix the beast. The parts guy was kind enough to let me know that this badly designed BMW part had drastically come down in price over the years and was apparently well over $200. Ok, so let me understand this right........... the original part is a bad design and basically a piece of shit that can leave you stranded in the middle of no where........... and BMW is doing me a favour in bringing down the price on the FSR and making me pay for their original design blunder ?!?!?!? Oh, and the part has apparently been RE-designed not once...... but twice. This is that hydro-lock motor BMW bullshit attitude all over again.......... customers paying for their BAD engineering design. I luv it............... here, let me bend over and BMW........ you give it to me with the rock salt......... again and again

Anyways, part goes in and so far so good. We'll see how the X5 gets along over the next few weeks. If anyone wants me to post more info or highlites on this install, just let me know.

On another note, early X5's also had a recall for the CD radio that would come on for no reason under cold temps. Another battery killer. I think it mainly affected 2001 x5's

Last edited by tominizer; 03-23-2008 at 09:05 PM.
tominizer is offline   Reply With Quote