View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 07:37 PM   #16
stevehecht
1990 325i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe
I've driven 225 RA-1's with not much tread left in the rain (got caught in a torrential downpour on the 401). It was not fun, but 99% of hydroplaning incidents occur due to driving far too fast for the tires, and being overconfident in your abilites. It's very hard to save it at 160 kph (100mph) if the ass snaps out and you're in top gear.
Thanks Axxe (and thanks Jay) for the feedback. I can assure you that I am not nearly as skilled a driver as either one of you, and therein lies my concern. I can certainly see myself working up to a tire like the RT-615, but not as my first real fast tire. I have yet to attend my first BMWCCA driving school, and my very first BMW was just delivered today (1990 325i coupe/M3 upgrades). I need to learn how to drive well before I take the 615s on very wet roads. I have a tendency to drive too fast as it is. That's OK with my '07 V6 Accord on 17" Kumho SPTs, but the 615s are another story. I've decided on the Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 to wrap the Ronal LS (15x7.5) wheels.

I told Jay that turn-in and steering response are my top priority, but I've also got to train my reflexes (not easy at 56) to deal with super quick turn-ins and slippery treads. I think the Exaltos will make great "training tires".
stevehecht is offline   Reply With Quote