maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Have head unit& amp, need speaker help????? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90286)

new2bmw 05-21-2007 02:18 AM

Have head unit& amp, need speaker help?????

Ok, I have a 300 watt 4 channel pioneer amp, not sure about any other details on it right now, i have a pioneer DEH-P3800MP head unit, 50 wx4. heres where i need help please. I have an 84 bmw 318i, I want to put in 6x9 in the rear, 5 1/4 in the kickpanels and tweeters in the domes behind the mirrors.
i have no idea how to determine how many watts each set of speakers should be? I am new to this so i didnt realize car audio was such a refined art. If you could keep it simple for me and let me know how many watts each set of speakers should have for maximum performance without killing them that would be incredible. not planning on running a sub right now, maybe later. really need your help here guys, need to put the car together before paint next week. I am planning on running all new wiring, dont want to use anything from the old setup. thanks in advance!

paul christians 05-21-2007 05:40 PM

us the amp and not head units power,for speakers something that can handle between 50 to 100 watts rms not peak or something with a hight Sigenal to Nosie like 90 to 93 S/N but if you get some with 89 or 90 you will be fine....check this link out www.12volt.com and surf it....

FuryriderX 05-21-2007 06:23 PM

welcome to the wonderful world of car audio. hope you enjoy your stay, haha. it can get complicated. but here you go.

for the front, the 5 1/4's will bolt right into the stock locations. just make sure that the new speakers arent any deeper (like if they have a huge magnet) than the old ones or you will have problems. get a set of component (= separate mid and tweeter) 5 1/4's if you can, itll make the wiring a lot easier.

for the back, 6x9s will fit no problem; im running them myself. they have to be spaced up about 1 1/2", however. just cut some spacers out of MDF or whatever else strikes your fancy.

now; as to wiring. take off the door sill pieces (plastic, they break SUPER easy but are very difficult to take off) and remove the piece of trim behind/beside the drivers seatbelt. you can thread wires underneath the carpet here, next to the stock wiring bundle. id advise you to drill a hole in the metal behind the back seat, near the bottom, to route the wires through. put something around the hole, and wrap all the wires in a couple layers of electrical tape, so they dont chafe.

wattage - just like paul said, something with 50-100wRMS power handling should do just fine. however, speakers are rated in dB (sensitivity), not S/N. it isnt really something to be concerned about unless your seriously into car audio.

speakers by mtx, clarion or alpine should work alright. if your not looking for amazing; dont spend a fortune. even relatively cheap aftermarket speakers can sound better than the stock ones. (although the stock ones sound pretty dang good with a better deck.) look at this link for some ideas.

need more info, feel free to PM.

brent-E30 05-21-2007 06:39 PM

^ what he said :D

paul christians 05-21-2007 08:04 PM

that is what I was getting at with that and not S/N....sensitivity is what I trying to say here....I forget there no one like us car audio guys on here....

FuryriderX 05-22-2007 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paul christians
that is what I was getting at with that and not S/N....sensitivity is what I trying to say here....I forget there no one like us car audio guys on here....

no worries i know what you were tryin to say :cool:

paul christians 05-22-2007 01:59 AM

yes I know you would see that but,I forget that everyone may say, what the hell is PAUL saying again.....I have to slow down my thought on things so I type it out.....Oh yes the deck you sold to HOUND is sweet man.....

new2bmw 05-26-2007 09:26 AM

which speakers (how many watts) some specs here

hi guys, the amp is a pioneer gm-4000f, says it has Continuous Power (4 ohm) 35W x 4 hope this info along with the headunit which is a pioneer
DEH-P3800MP head unit, 50 wx4. will help you to help me pick the speakers for the rear , kickpanels and tweeters for my 84 318i. crossing my fingers.
thanks so much