maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   7 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Transmission GONE!!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90137)

R2dmax 05-17-2007 10:05 AM

Transmission GONE!!!

My transmission went out. Some of you may be familiar with the old "ZF" auto trannys in the older 5 and 7 series. Rev the engine over a certain RPM and your transmission is toast.

I was driving 85S from the University area to work on Wednesday and got in the far left lane to get around the I-77 connector traffic and 'CLUNK, VRROOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!'... nothing. No accelleration. I just coasted to the median and stopped. Glad I have AAA. Only cost me $6 to tow my car back to the house. Now comes the fun part...

Seven 05-17-2007 12:13 PM

5spd for sure man!! Just imagine how much more fun you'll have at that Gap!! ;) If you go that route be sure to keep us updated if you don't mind. I'd love to see all that is involved in such a project!!

Sucks about your current transmission ... but opens up this possibility!! *th-up*

Hound 05-17-2007 03:37 PM

R2, go euro 6 speed, that's what im doing when my tranny goes :D you know you WANNNA :D

5spd tho man for sure, auto is OK but 5spd would be much nicer, and fuel eco could also improve for you since you have more control.

R2dmax 05-17-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound
R2, go euro 6 speed, that's what im doing when my tranny goes :D you know you WANNNA :D

5spd tho man for sure, auto is OK but 5spd would be much nicer, and fuel eco could also improve for you since you have more control.

Got any details on the $$$ required for the conversion (5 or 6 spd)?

touchofclass 05-17-2007 03:44 PM

Call Charlie at Bimmersport ...he has a contact for 7'series parts and transmission etc. Great guy to deal with and excellent service with a smile:) always.
Most important "He will not break your pocketbook: :)

MANDD 05-17-2007 06:05 PM

E32_5Speed

5 Speed manual is an excellent choice, I owned 2 E32's (735i) with a 5 speed manual.

Mark.
www.autobahneast.ca

Hound 05-20-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R2dmax
Got any details on the $$$ required for the conversion (5 or 6 spd)?

far as I know it's proly realativly cheap for the tranny, you can use the 5spd from the E28's if it's one that had the M30 in it (i.e. 535 etc.) this will bolt right up apparently, also you can use one from the E34 535, those are your best bet's to look for since 5spd's in those cars were a lot more common then the 7er's. The euro 6spd im planning to put in is from the E34 M5 :D super hard to find and when you do find one you CAN pay mucho $$$ for it.

As for putting it in, you will need the master and slave cylinders (not sure if they are part of the tranny, think they are seprate) the clutch pedal and linkages for that, you will proly need to find the trim pieces for around the shifter (boot etc.) I think the hole for the auto is the same as the manual one so I doubt you'd need to get the wood piece from a manual 7er. Cost wise, well I know here i've heard guys with E30's do the swap for ~ $1500 incl. the tranny, for a 7er as long as you know a good reputable shop that will do it and not rape you on labour etc. then I can't see it costing more then that, again that's in cdn $ not sure what prices are like down there. Way I see it, to get even a remanufactured autobox would cost about the same as doing the swap, and at least with the 5spd you can have more fun :D

Good luck on either of your choices.

BTW touchofclass he is from Charlotte North Carolina, I doubt he'd want to come all the way up here to see charlie :P :D :moon: *wave*

VSanj 05-20-2007 02:03 PM

^^its worth the drive to mississauga brother.........lol

R2dmax 05-22-2007 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound
far as I know it's proly realativly cheap for the tranny, you can use the 5spd from the E28's if it's one that had the M30 in it (i.e. 535 etc.) this will bolt right up apparently, also you can use one from the E34 535, those are your best bet's to look for since 5spd's in those cars were a lot more common then the 7er's. The euro 6spd im planning to put in is from the E34 M5 :D super hard to find and when you do find one you CAN pay mucho $$$ for it.

As for putting it in, you will need the master and slave cylinders (not sure if they are part of the tranny, think they are seprate) the clutch pedal and linkages for that, you will proly need to find the trim pieces for around the shifter (boot etc.) I think the hole for the auto is the same as the manual one so I doubt you'd need to get the wood piece from a manual 7er. Cost wise, well I know here i've heard guys with E30's do the swap for ~ $1500 incl. the tranny, for a 7er as long as you know a good reputable shop that will do it and not rape you on labour etc. then I can't see it costing more then that, again that's in cdn $ not sure what prices are like down there. Way I see it, to get even a remanufactured autobox would cost about the same as doing the swap, and at least with the 5spd you can have more fun :D

Good luck on either of your choices.

BTW touchofclass he is from Charlotte North Carolina, I doubt he'd want to come all the way up here to see charlie :P :D :moon: *wave*

Any ideas on where to source parts w/o killing my wallet:?

Hound 05-23-2007 01:18 AM

well you could try some places near you that might have cars that are being parted out, look on craglist etc. too, you could try Ebay but that's a risk in terms of buying before you actually see the part.

here is a site that you might want to post up on and see if anyone in your area or a town near by might have something, www.mye28.com

other then that, check and post up on BF.c if you havn't already maybe someone has something there?

R2dmax 05-23-2007 09:41 AM

/\ THanks, I will

2002guy 06-20-2007 07:34 PM

my dad is gonnA DO A 5 SPEED WHEN HIS TRANNY goes. there is a guy in toronto whos done it and now hes putting a twin turbo in it now.

Hound 06-21-2007 02:29 PM

got any info on the turbo setup?

2002guy 06-23-2007 05:42 PM

i found a site once but i cant remember it now.. i think the retail for about 5k us for a full set up including injectors pipping manifold etc. and the put down something like 550 rwhp at 15 psi or something like that when i find it ill let u know.. and hte guy whos doing the TT his shop is called "Kars N' Trucks".. he has has 8 second street legal rx7..a 14 second vw bus that is parked now and his brother owna retarded porche... hes the guy that helped my dad do a 991 swap into his vw vanagon

Hound 06-25-2007 08:40 AM

991 swap into the v dub, haha that's awesome!

5k us eh? that sounds like that could be the TCD kit on there, but even their stage 2 is only 420rwhp