maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Do I need intercooler for super charge? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85567)

Bimmer4ever 02-13-2007 04:41 PM

Do I need intercooler for super charge?

Hey guys I just want to know do I need to buy intercooler for super charging? and if I do what job does this thing do ? thanks alot!

SickFinga 02-13-2007 05:08 PM

Do you need it? Depends on how much boost you are running.
Is it recomemneded? YES.

What it does?

It lowers temperature of the air going into your engine from your supercharger.
Cooler air = denser air = more air = more power.
It also allows you to run more boost before your engine explodes. Why? No idea :D

jeffrie 02-13-2007 05:40 PM

You do not need an intercooler till you start to pass about 8PSI with the SC approach.
To add to what Sickfinga said, as air is compressed it generates heat and becomes hotter. As your piston compresses air on the compression stroke as it would normaly do, the air/fuel mixture raised temp as it's compressed but within spec to what it was desighned for, add the new hotter compressed air into the mix = your alot closer to pre-ignition temps AKA "PING".
Too many of theis and your engine goes BOOM!.

fukenricen 02-13-2007 07:24 PM

how about u worry about an oil cooler first

JMW 02-13-2007 08:15 PM

i dont have either..
my kit doesnt need it stage 1..
stage 2....yes

Bimmer4ever 02-13-2007 09:37 PM

oI SEE.. thank you guys !

modifiedm3 03-10-2007 05:13 PM

Better off fitting a charge cooler than an Intercooler..

Jon@Bimmersport 03-15-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modifiedm3
Better off fitting a charge cooler than an Intercooler..

My thoughts exactly...

AA uses an intercooler, but also the piping is a lot different than a Vortech unit (used on JMW and Stickyfingas). Both of their kits stage 1 form dont use it due to small boost, 6psi and 8psi. Once stage 2 is introduced they both use an aftercooler (cools after the s/c before the throttle body). Superchargers also suffer from "heat soak". The added cooling at any boost level will help your reliability and also the power.

sloveniaboy 03-15-2007 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
Superchargers also suffer from "heat soak". The added cooling at any boost level will help your reliability and also the power.

AA superchargers unlike the vortech units, run off their own oil system which include an oil cooler, they are less prone to heat soak

modifiedm3 04-04-2007 04:07 PM

Go for a charge cooler. Well worth fitting.

Steve

PedroBMW 04-04-2007 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonny_blaze
My thoughts exactly...

Once stage 2 is introduced they both use an aftercooler (cools after the s/c before the throttle body).

an intercooler cools between the s/c and TB too, its just a slang term that Air/Air intercoolers are called "intercooler" because technically its an aftercooler. An intercooler presupercharger would do nothing. I think the reason that most supercharger kits use air/water aftercoolers is because of the packaging issue, there just isn't much space.

notjoe 04-10-2007 10:18 AM

The compresson of air creates heat which is why i think it's placed after the blower.

Axxe 04-10-2007 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedroBMW
an intercooler cools between the s/c and TB too, its just a slang term that Air/Air intercoolers are called "intercooler" because technically its an aftercooler. An intercooler presupercharger would do nothing. I think the reason that most supercharger kits use air/water aftercoolers is because of the packaging issue, there just isn't much space.

Another benefit to water to air intercoolers is the reduced length of charge pipe. 12" of charge pipe is much better for throttle response tan 6 feet of charge pipe. Also, I've seen the way AA routes their intercooler lines, can't say I'm all that impessed with the low underslung tube (lowest point on the car) and multiple 90* bends. I'm sure it doesn't affect much or else AA wouldn't do that, but it would be the deal breaker for me.

330DTM 04-10-2007 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axxe
Another benefit to water to air intercoolers is the reduced length of charge pipe. 12" of charge pipe is much better for throttle response tan 6 feet of charge pipe. Also, I've seen the way AA routes their intercooler lines, can't say I'm all that impessed with the low underslung tube (lowest point on the car) and multiple 90* bends. I'm sure it doesn't affect much or else AA wouldn't do that, but it would be the deal breaker for me.

With regards to the rotrex setup, the blower takes up less space than the vortech units, so there is more room left over to fit a FMIC, and I quesetion if AA did this mainly due to cutting cost to make the kit affordable. Afterall, I believe water-air intercoolers cost more than the FMICs and there's less of a pressure drop than using a FMIC.

To sum it up, use a water-air intercooler for vortech setups.

Furious 04-10-2007 01:23 PM

with prices in mind the aftercooler is more expensive but better suited for the vortech system.