maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   shock tower brace /battery holder idea (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85317)

Dropped325i 02-07-2007 09:09 PM

shock tower brace /battery holder idea

anyone know if this would be a bad design in terms of strengh? any simpler designs? or suggestions for less material and same strenght?

auto-x legal?

dont laugh, i dont have a CAD program!

http://www.sccoct.com/Stuff/idea.JPG

mirek 02-07-2007 09:31 PM

What's the point of this?

Dropped325i 02-07-2007 09:50 PM

um. you serious? :confused:

to move my battery to a better spot since my car is so gutted, above the wheel, and also to stiffen up the shock area?

mirek 02-07-2007 10:30 PM

What's wrong with the hole in the trunk where the battery is meant to be?

PedroBMW 02-07-2007 11:02 PM

The tubes holding the battery seem overkill, I think angle would work fine for this and weigh alot less. The angle used to mount to the top of the struts seems kinda shotty looking, I'd do it a little differnt with some plate or something. Overall this thing seems really heavy, but a cool idea.

craz azn 02-08-2007 12:00 AM

If this is for your e30, this is retarded.

Why would you move the battery? Its fairly low as it is, if you move it, it will be higher, and thats not what you want. You want weight as low as possible. Also, being on the right side it balances out the driver more, but thats a very extreme way to look at it. Have fun boosting it and/or taking it out buried all the way down in the trunk.

Secondly, why do you need to stiffen the shock mounts? Its a pretty sturdy area and the only brace that would make sense is to stiffer the spring points, but thast not a problem in the e30, since its part of the frame. The shocks shouldnt have that much force on them either to require a brace. Your springs take that abuse, shock should only dampen the force up and down, shouldn't be a side to side... hence bar=useless... at least IMO

brent-E30 02-08-2007 10:42 AM

yes you want it as light as possable, just get i light weight battery, that will save a few pounds.

and if you realy want to stiffen that up all you would need is a steel or better yet aluminum plate that conects the two towers olny 2-3in wide, you can make the ends a U shape and bolt it right to the top of the shocks.

now after my own addvice on how to make one can someone please tell me how theys towers would brake? i know it is possable beacaus my 87 325i parts car has a very, very welded back together rear pasengerside shock tower. i cant figure it out:confused:

Mystikal 02-08-2007 11:56 AM

static is that you?

Quack 02-08-2007 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal
static is that you?

.....:D

PedroBMW 02-08-2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brent-E30
can someone please tell me how theys towers would brake? i know it is possable beacaus my 87 325i parts car has a very, very welded back together rear pasengerside shock tower. i cant figure it out:confused:

very stiff/seized shocks maybe, aftermarket shocks can blow threw the stock rsm like its nothing, so I guess just way stiffer shocks with solid rsm's and rusted shock towers it could happen:) .

RNDLTS 02-08-2007 12:07 PM

check out top end performance in California. It is a good idea to get the weight of the battery towards the centre of the car and over the rear axle is a good place. You could also use tubing to do this.

thinair 02-08-2007 12:18 PM

I have a lightweight battery, it's a nice reduction in weight, my battery weighs about 15lbs, you can get them down to almost 10lbs). The stock battery is in the 50lbs range. I've had a LTW battery for 2 years now, no issues starting my car.

The battery is also set to a side to offset the weight of the muffler and such too.

brent-E30 02-08-2007 12:20 PM

Quote:

very stiff/seized shocks maybe, aftermarket shocks can blow threw the stock rsm like its nothing, so I guess just way stiffer shocks with solid rsm's and rusted shock towers it could happen .
i gess so, the car did have very stiff shocks, they were not sezed and the shock towers had no rust, but i gess it can happen.

just wondering, why would you want to move the battery, its farly low allready and its on that side of the car for a reason.

i have to say tho that your setup would look very cool in the trunk, personaly i pefer to see subs.....*rockout*

BigD 02-08-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by craz azn
If this is for your e30, this is retarded.

^^^ x100

Chris de la Cruz 02-08-2007 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal
static is that you?

*uzi* *rockout* *santa* :D