maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Car Audio? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78877)

dbworld4k 10-05-2006 06:10 PM

Car Audio?

Anyone know of a great car audio or audio store in general that really knows their stuff? I'm not talking Best Buy or Futureshop here. I've seen "Bav Auto" mentioned a few times - where is this store located? I'm hoping to source someone in the Westend ie. Brampton/Mississuaga.

I need to get some stuff for my car and need to check out some equipment in person and could use the information from a knowledgeable person in this field.

Thanks!

paul christians 10-05-2006 07:08 PM

1)what is your budget.(2)what type muisc do you like(3)are going to compete??

///Maluco 10-05-2006 11:05 PM

I recommend George from Number One Sound.
They're a small shop in Toronto and its run by him and his wife.

I've known him for 15+ years. They do all types of set-ups, pleasure use or competition.

Feel free to give him a call and I'm sure he can help you out.

speak with George (he's the Owner)
Tel: 416-532-6134
Number One Sound
952 College Street (just west of Dovercourt)
www.number1sound.com

dbworld4k 10-05-2006 11:10 PM

Nope no competition, I'm just SICK of the stock setup and already got the HU. I tend to mostly listen to hip hop or rap music, just about anything really. So I'm aiming for a nice detailed soundstage with an emphasis on bass (but I'm not trying to shake the neighborhood, I just want more bass ie. using subs :)). I'm just very picky with my music quality so I need ssome custom work done (ie. larger kicks, amp + sub wiring, etc.).

Will Number One Sound be able to do this, or should I try Ultra Auto Sound in Mississauga?

McMattMan 10-05-2006 11:12 PM

in car audio.. everyone is out to screw you... they all claim this and that is the best... ifyourplanning on buying a system you hould go with someone who knows alot about car audio... i have alotof buddies whopayed 3 times as much for there systems.. yet mine can blow theresout of the water.... all im saying is be careful who u trust... theres some sketchy people selling car audio that want no more but to hustle you...

///Maluco 10-06-2006 12:05 AM

^^^He's right, be careful out there. This is a business like everything else.

Number One Sound can make any custom audio work to suit your ear buds. I've seen plenty of custom work on many cars including for Alpine.

All I can do is recommend them as I've experienced half my life with them and I trust them with car audio advice and installs.

I'm also very picky and love quality sound. I used to have an MKII Jetta Diesel that rocked (with only one sub!). I had guys think I had 12's (yes plural), but that body style was also great for bass too. When sitting in the front, it sounded like you were in a concert. Sweet highs and precise beats...I really miss that sometimes. My music is now hearing the mechanicals and exhaust note from the E12..:D

Won't hurt to give them a call and maybe go by and he'll show you the type of custom work they've done in the past and continue to do.

Good luck wherever you end up going.

dbworld4k 10-06-2006 12:15 AM

Thanks for the replies guys, great help! :D

$500bimmer 10-06-2006 01:10 AM

not all of us are out there to screw ppl! and you can have THE BEST OF THE BEST but a bad box and it will sound like crap, or bad wires so on n so forth.
paul and i can help you with ANY questions you or anyone may have, we both have been doing it for years n years to come. i would rather make people happy rather, pissed so i have return customers.

dmoffitt 10-06-2006 03:30 AM

feel free to PM me, I worked at both high-end home hifi shops and a car audio dealer / installer and have done some very high-end installs in my own cars (imho) - Focal and Dynaudio speakers, everything from JL to Audison amps, clean wiring w/ high-end interconnects and speaker wire, etc etc... what I've learned over time is do EVERYTHING you can yourself but leave the custom fiberglass / fabrication to those who dedicate themselves to it. Wiring a power-amp isn't that difficult / time consuming to do right, and you will do it far more clean / anal than someone trying to get done / go home.