maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   5 series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   E34: What was the first year for 540i 6-spd? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72954)

TopSpeed 06-09-2006 06:56 PM

E34: What was the first year for 540i 6-spd?
 
I was wondering if Europe got it after/before us? Is there a difference between the Euro and NA-Spec cars?

I am contemplating importing one hence the curiosity ...

TIA!

TopSpeed 06-09-2006 06:57 PM

specifically the Touring version *smoke*

Gamite 06-09-2006 08:33 PM

europe almost always gets them before we do.

most of the E34 540's are 5spd. I think only the M540/540 Sport was 6. Not even sure about that one.

Don't ever recall even seeing a 540 touring. Doubt they came to Canada at all.

If you import one, you'd have the only one.

O.S. 06-10-2006 01:21 AM

1996 is the first production year for European e39 from what I recall.

BigD 06-10-2006 03:52 AM

Yup, Europe got the M60's before the '95 facelift, in '93. The manuals were 5 speeds, and in '95 there was a 6 speed. Canada also got the M540i which is a truly awesome car if you can find one. It's the exact same car as a Euro 3.8 M5 with the Nurburgring package except instead of the S38 it has the M60.

As far as the touring, I'm 99% sure you can find a '93 540 wagon. The only problem with bringing in a Euro M60 is that you are guaranteed to face the Nikasil issue since they don't have that problem in Europe so the engine will not have been replaced... so it will only be good for around 100k kms in North America.

MarkD 06-10-2006 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TopSpeed
I was wondering if Europe got it after/before us? Is there a difference between the Euro and NA-Spec cars?

I am contemplating importing one hence the curiosity ...

TIA!


What year do you plan to import it into Canada? It has to be at least 15 years old so you have to wait a bit longer.

O.S. 06-10-2006 09:12 AM

LOL - I guess I need to try to check my eyes ...I thought you asked for e39 not e34 ... an awsome car ... I owned one.
Quote:

Originally Posted by O.S.
1996 is the first production year for European e39 from what I recall.


TopSpeed 06-11-2006 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamite
europe almost always gets them before we do.

most of the E34 540's are 5spd. I think only the M540/540 Sport was 6. Not even sure about that one.

Don't ever recall even seeing a 540 touring. Doubt they came to Canada at all.

If you import one, you'd have the only one.

I've read it in one of the UK BMW mags that there were 540 Tourings with 6spds in the E34 body style. I guess more research is necessary ... :D

Thanks!

Prash 06-29-2006 06:13 PM

In N/A the first 540i/6's came out in '95. '95 was the second year for the 540i and the '94's were all auto.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Maxbimmer Copyright 2001 - 2014