maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   My Clutch, HELP PLEASE. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71646)

PedroBMW 05-18-2006 01:51 AM

My Clutch, HELP PLEASE.

Hey Guys,

Ok heres the story, last night I was screwin around doin a couple small but somky burnouts for my buddys (please no lecture on this lol), anyway normally I just get the car rolling and punch it to get it squeeling but on one yesterday this was by accident by the way (not really paying attention) I reved my engine way up like over 5 grand but while slowly releasing the clutch so that it just reved and took off but not enough to spin. Basically what you'd normally see like a four banger do if trying to do a burnout without dumping the clutch. Anyway when I took off it stunk like clutch bad, and right after I did that my clutch didn't even feel the same. Anyway today, when i got up close to my engine area, It smelled like that clutch smell, like all threw the day, i smelled it a couple times when getting out of the car. Is it possible that its somehow still burning the clutch, like somehow it remained engaged or something???? Someone please help out, I know this is retarded but, I'll take any insults I have comin.

mirek 05-18-2006 02:14 AM

Time to replace the clutch!

Justin e36 05-18-2006 04:23 AM

Explain "right after I did that my clutch didn't even feel the same"...

PedroBMW 05-18-2006 08:38 AM

Sorry, I figured that needed some clarification, but its hard to describe, feeling was different, slightly more resistance when pushing it all the way down, (I don't remember exactly just different) like I can't notice it now, just noticed it immediatly after, I hope I don't have to replace the clutch, its not slipping at all, it seems to engage the same as always, maybe (and this is just maybe I'm just feelin it cause its in my head) the gears feel slightly more notchy going in, its already the e34 M5 clutch, should be pretty robust,

Darkness95m3 05-18-2006 09:42 AM

You will know when your clutch is going.
1) Very hard to get car into gear. Especially when upshifting and down shifting.
2) Under WOT your engine is screaming however your car is slowing down.

PedroBMW 05-18-2006 05:34 PM

I know how to tell when a clutch is going, and I know that my clutch is engaging fine and not slipping, thats not really the issue

its the smell, I smell it, just a little bit, when I get up close to the car after its been running, like the clutch i slowly eating itself up or something, I have no clue, I know shit all about clutches,

Justin e36 05-18-2006 05:50 PM

What does a 'burning clutch' smell like... how does it differ from other burning smells in the car? :confused:

You sure it's not another problem that you may be attributing to the clutch? The clutch won't 'eat itself' unless it never fully engages.

PedroBMW 05-18-2006 11:45 PM

its definitly the clutch smell, I know it makes no sense what I'm saying, thats why I asked cause I don't get it, I guess I'll just wait and see what happens tommorow,
thanks

325iSBimmer 05-21-2006 01:40 PM

Im sure its just the smell of your friction material getting very hot very quickly and burning off some of the dust and friction material that stunk. The smell ussually lingers around for a while because where your clutch is located there are only some small holes for visuall and clutch measurement. The smell could have just been slowly leaking out all day. The clutch probably felt different because you put some significant wear on it by slipping it that much. Clutch feel ussually very gradually degrades with use and when the time comes to replace it you'll notice antoher big differenece in clutch feel.

hope that helps

PedroBMW 05-22-2006 12:48 AM

thanks man, nice rims btw :D *th-up*

propr'one 05-22-2006 12:57 AM

Justin, you dont know what clutch smells like? lemme drive your car for 5 mins:D

I've let some of my buddies drive my car, with a new clutch. they burned it a bit, some clutch smell, goes away in a day or two, car still drives fine. just if you start getting that smell anew, make sure you're not burning the clutch too continually, you can warp it

Helka 10-21-2007 01:08 AM

Hey is the clutch smell likevburning plastic/hot glue. I just installed a clutch stop and since then i've noticed a burning smell from the car. Now it could be that or the microfilter but i'm leaning towards the clutch stop.

Any help would be appreciated.

328IScreamer 10-21-2007 02:50 AM

also that smell probly got in your polin filters which will make that smell go into your cabin for a long time when you turn your vents on. This is a very convienent thread cause i did this exact same thing this week! The smell is slowly getting lighter. I took it to overseas motors for the free 55 pt inspection today and they were pretty much no help about the clutch smell.

Helka 10-22-2007 10:45 PM

Ha ha ha ha ha the burning plastic smell ended up being a plastic bag melted to my exhaust. hahaha