maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   E36 325 Engine Turbo'd With 8 PSI... Fast Or Not? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70395)

Mitch555 04-26-2006 10:58 PM

E36 325 Engine Turbo'd With 8 PSI... Fast Or Not?
 
Need some input on this guys. Would you say it would be fast or meh... not really? I know there is other aspects like diff... tuning... piping... tires... blah blah blah... but generally speaking. Car is 5 speed also. This setup will be in an E36.

Furious 04-26-2006 11:28 PM

will it be fast? in a word yes. your car would be as fast if not faster than my car.

Mitch555 04-27-2006 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
will it be fast? in a word yes. your car would be as fast if not faster than my car.

But you have a S50 (240hp/225Tq) and a supercharger at 8 psi, and I will have a (189hp/181tq?) . You have more engine power to begin with. How would I be same/possibly faster? Is it cuz the supercharger is belt driven and you loose hp that way? Do explain PREEZ!

Justin e36 04-27-2006 12:19 AM

General rule of thumb is 10% performance loss with a supercharger.

Furious 04-27-2006 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin e36
General rule of thumb is 10% performance loss with a supercharger.

exactly, the efficiency of a turbo really does make a huge difference.

Striker 04-27-2006 12:30 AM

Turbo design and effiency has come along way and all the old lag issues have been hugely reduced. Turbo matching is the key to any turbo application. Most fools sorry, certified idiots spend tons of money buying and installing a huge 500HP turbo on their car thinking it will produce 500HP. They dont realize that it will only deliver 50HP by the time the poor engine was reving at 6K to get it to begin spooling.

With a well matched turbo, you can have "almost" no lag, been there done it.

Striker 04-27-2006 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch555
Need some input on this guys. Would you say it would be fast or meh... not really? I know there is other aspects like diff... tuning... piping... tires... blah blah blah... but generally speaking. Car is 5 speed also. This setup will be in an E36.

To answer your question 8psi on your car with a properly matched turbo and components will be more than you can ever imangine.

325isRED 04-27-2006 03:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin e36
General rule of thumb is 10% performance loss with a supercharger.

please elaborate on this statement...

SickFinga 04-27-2006 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
will it be fast? in a word yes. your car would be as fast if not faster than my car.

It wont be a here is a proof

SC M3 8psi (ODBI)
http://aatuning.com/dyno/dynoplot/97..._M3_SC8psi.jpg
282.6 HP @ 6500 RPM
262.4 Ft-Lbs @ 3750 RPM


Turbo M3 at 8.5psi (ODBII)
http://aatuning.com/dyno/dynoplot/97...%2000%20M5.jpg
300.5 HP @ 6750.0 RPM
286.9 ft-lbs @ 3250.0 RPM


Turbo M3 at 7psi (ODBI)
http://www.activeautowerke.com/dyno/..._95M3_7psi.jpg
284.8 HP @ 5750 RPM
288.2 ft-lbs @ 4250 RPM



EDIT, for some reason, I thought you were talking about 6psi on MSN when I said it will be somewhere in between e36 m3 and e46 m3 fast.
With 8psi, id say as fast as e46 m3, maybe slightly faster. But no, it wont be as fast as 8psi SC S50

Furious 04-27-2006 04:22 AM

hard to say, thats only AA's SC, there are other options out there, i mean really we cant compare unless we know exactly what turbo and setup he plans to run. 8 psi is just a number without knowing the size of the turbo and its components. i think he would be just as fast if not faster than an e46M3 im pretty sure my car is faster than one.

SickFinga 04-27-2006 04:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
hard to say, thats only AA's SC, there are other options out there, i mean really we cant compare unless we know exactly what turbo and setup he plans to run. 8 psi is just a number without knowing the size of the turbo and its components. i think he would be just as fast if not faster than an e46M3 im pretty sure my car is faster than one.

Yeah I know psi alone doesnt mean anything, but we are talking about basic kits here on a stock engine, and if you compare AA, RMS, Dinan, VF, ESS etc kits, results are very similar.

Mitch555 04-28-2006 12:54 AM

Well... The turbo I am most likely gonna run is a KKK-27 (rebuilt) from a Porsche. It should spool up around 3000RPM. I was told it should be about 250rwhp and should be able to keep up with E46 M3's no problem... and it might even be faster.

thinair 04-28-2006 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin e36
General rule of thumb is 10% performance loss with a supercharger.

Correction, on a centrifugal supercharger. Positive displacement blowers are a lot more efficient, which is why Mercedes, VW, etc, etc have used them.

Even a turbo requires power to spin the turbine to create boost, obviously no where near as much as a belt driven compressor though.

Darkness95m3 04-28-2006 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch555
Need some input on this guys. Would you say it would be fast or meh... not really? I know there is other aspects like diff... tuning... piping... tires... blah blah blah... but generally speaking. Car is 5 speed also. This setup will be in an E36.

All depends on the setup. Most of the tuners that sell kits spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to perfect their product.

However there is no reason that you could produce your own kit.

My suggestion is do lot's of research also the most important is the software tuning. Give MarkD a call when it comes to software tuning.
He is an honest and awesome individual to deal with.

Mitch555 04-28-2006 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkness95m3
All depends on the setup. Most of the tuners that sell kits spend hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to perfect their product.

However there is no reason that you could produce your own kit.

My suggestion is do lot's of research also the most important is the software tuning. Give MarkD a call when it comes to software tuning.
He is an honest and awesome individual to deal with.

You're right. Too many factors. If I go with 325 + turbo the tuner is a good one and the turbo kit pulls well supposedly on a 325... tried ans tested already. I'll let you guys know how it goes if I go this route. Anybody else wanna comment on this? Fast or meh?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.