maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   who has fiberglass front end (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6940)

bart320i 10-31-2002 01:46 AM

who has fiberglass front end

Who here is using fiberglass front skirts? If anyone has had anyproblems with them please let me know. I'm gonna be running with a racing dynamics fiberglass bumper cover. Since the whole unit is polyurethened onto the original bumper is there any reduced chance it won't break if I touch a speed bump or curb? I couldn't find a urethene or abs unit so I just bought fiber glass one. If it does break isn't fiber glass easy to fix?

djcontra 10-31-2002 05:55 PM

If it sits flush with the existing bumper it will absorb shock much better than a hollow fiberglass fascia

When i use a 100% fiberglass bumper, i usually fill in all the spaces with spray foam to give it strength. The stuff will seep into all the unused spaces and turn hard and you can cut off the excess after it dries to make it look nice.
You can also rienforce the fascia with more fiberglass or pure fiberglass resin, but it will add weight to the bumper as well.
The main culprit is flexing. Fiberglass has flex to it but not much. If it flexes too much it will crack. The use of the spray foam in the bumper causes the bumper to flex less and acts as sort of a shock absorber.

Fiberglass does crack or crunch if it hits something hard enough, especially if it's made with less than 7 layers of the stuff. You may also get pits and knicks in the bumper from large stones on the highway bouncing off the bumper.

The upside is that it's really easy to fix, but you have to deal with repainting again afterwards.

When you get it painted, make sure they use a flexing agent in the paint so that if you do happen to scrape (and you will, everyone does =) the paint wont chip off or cause spiderweb cracks everywhere. You want the paint to flex with the bumper, but they dont want to use too much flex to the point where the paint is like a rubbercoating and will peel off =)

P.S. the spray foam is actually Spray Insulation by companies like Mono. You can pickup cans of it from home depot or crappy tire.
But i wouldn't do it in your case since it sounds like the fascia fits flush with the bumper and doesn't require anything to strengthen it

KIRASIR 10-31-2002 07:14 PM

Mine if fiberglass and I have no problems with it all. Just don't hit any curbs. ;)

SL

mkgino 10-31-2002 07:34 PM

You will regret it I think. You shouldnt be cheap when modding a car because it will either look crapy or it wont last and you will regret it in the end.

Eurostyle 11-01-2002 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by djcontra
If it sits flush with the existing bumper it will absorb shock much better than a hollow fiberglass fascia

When i use a 100% fiberglass bumper, i usually fill in all the spaces with spray foam to give it strength. The stuff will seep into all the unused spaces and turn hard and you can cut off the excess after it dries to make it look nice.
You can also rienforce the fascia with more fiberglass or pure fiberglass resin, but it will add weight to the bumper as well.
The main culprit is flexing. Fiberglass has flex to it but not much. If it flexes too much it will crack. The use of the spray foam in the bumper causes the bumper to flex less and acts as sort of a shock absorber.

Fiberglass does crack or crunch if it hits something hard enough, especially if it's made with less than 7 layers of the stuff. You may also get pits and knicks in the bumper from large stones on the highway bouncing off the bumper.

The upside is that it's really easy to fix, but you have to deal with repainting again afterwards.

When you get it painted, make sure they use a flexing agent in the paint so that if you do happen to scrape (and you will, everyone does =) the paint wont chip off or cause spiderweb cracks everywhere. You want the paint to flex with the bumper, but they dont want to use too much flex to the point where the paint is like a rubbercoating and will peel off =)

P.S. the spray foam is actually Spray Insulation by companies like Mono. You can pickup cans of it from home depot or crappy tire.
But i wouldn't do it in your case since it sounds like the fascia fits flush with the bumper and doesn't require anything to strengthen it

I woudnt use the insulation foam on fiberglass!!! One of my customers used it on a skirt and it melted the fiberglass!!!! I think it depends on the brand but wouldnt take the risk!!!

djcontra 11-01-2002 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Eurostyle

I woudnt use the insulation foam on fiberglass!!! One of my customers used it on a skirt and it melted the fiberglass!!!! I think it depends on the brand but wouldnt take the risk!!!

The mono stuff i use hasn't melted any yet so i guess it's pretty safe. Can you recommend any other methods or products that do essentially the same thing? I think i used MONO brand

Eurostyle 11-01-2002 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by djcontra

The mono stuff i use hasn't melted any yet so i guess it's pretty safe. Can you recommend any other methods or products that do essentially the same thing? I think i used MONO brand

I dont know what brand was used in this case, but in general i dont like molding plastic and fiberglass together...in most cases it will crack! The thing about fiberglass is to gat a GOOD piece that will fit RIGHT! Some european kit are SO good they already have all the brackets and they just bolt on! No body work needed AT ALL!!!

WASABI 11-01-2002 09:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a fiberglass bumper add-on. No problems so far (knockin on wood). I sometimes scrape the bottom going up my driveway and there are scratches on either sides. I hit a curb once and I thought shiet it's broken but it wasn't. Looking at it closely, you can see stonechips, but who doesn't have that. All I can say is just be careful when you drive.*th-up*

Adriano 11-02-2002 03:05 PM

The problems I had is with Zeemax and their crappy products. Mabe only in my case that fiberglass body parts fit like sh$#! The other thing is that the smallest stone will chip the hell out of the paint.

EMPOWERD 11-02-2002 03:26 PM

I've been using a fiberglass body kit for years and had absolutely no problems at all. At first I noticed that the front bumper get A LOT of stone chips because of the bittle texture of the glass fibers. An application of the 3M Armourguard solved that. I believe my car is also hands down the lowest BMW I have yet to see and I'm happy to say that the front Aluminum splitter I made probably saved the bumper numerous times when driving up inclined driveways. It really does depend on your driving style.... be very careful when parking the car and going up driveways.

My front end....

mpower1226 11-02-2002 07:19 PM

hey, randy, you've probably heard alotof times, but it is really nice
car you have.*th-up*
anyway, what kind of 3m tape did you use, to shield the front end? Howmuch and where?

EMPOWERD 11-02-2002 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by mpower1226
hey, randy, you've probably heard alotof times, but it is really nice
car you have.*th-up*
anyway, what kind of 3m tape did you use, to shield the front end? Howmuch and where?

Thanks for the compliments. I still appreciate it though. I believe there's another thread talking about that 3M tape I mentioned.

Furious 11-03-2002 05:48 PM

well ive had a lot of problems with my front end. i think its due to the amount of kilometers i travel with my car.. stone chips are a huge problem.. and not just once but twice ive hit some type of debrit on the road that has thus cracked.. and shattered the front end.. all it takes is a dark highway stretch and a blown truck tire and your focked..

Jon@Bimmersport 11-03-2002 06:23 PM

empowerd, i am just thinking...do you have a pic of your car like that on the road? it looks a lil different when on the grass....when on a road or in one of the shows you entered it might look a lil higher than that. you already know, but i love how your car is...really low, but the wheels are half way in the fender! i love it! *love* *love*

EMPOWERD 11-03-2002 06:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
like this?