maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=97)
-   -   Questions from someone who knows nothing (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69242)

canadaneedsm 04-07-2006 03:22 PM

Questions from someone who knows nothing
 
I have a couple of questions.

The first is, how does a supercharger work? And what's the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger? I realize this is most likely a very stupid question for most of you, lol, but thanks to whoever can help.

Also, I am going to be getting my hands on a E46 M3 in a little while, and since I love the car I'm always thinking of things to do to it even though I don't have it to myself yet. Where are some places to get a supercharger for an E46 M3? I know there is Dinan, and there are some other random places I've found online awhile ago, but I'm hoping some of you know of a good reliable source somewhere in the GTA.

Thanks for your help.

SickFinga 04-07-2006 03:30 PM

Supercharger is belt driven - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supercharger
Turbocharger is exhaust driven. - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbocharger


For E46 M3 your choices are.
Active Autowerke - http://aatuning.com
RMS - http://www.racemarque.com
ESS - http://www.esstuning.com
Dinan - http://www.dinanbmw.com/
VF-Engineering - http://www.vf-engineering.com/

Darkness95m3 04-07-2006 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaneedsm
I have a couple of questions.

The first is, how does a supercharger work? And what's the difference between a supercharger and a turbocharger? I realize this is most likely a very stupid question for most of you, lol, but thanks to whoever can help.

Also, I am going to be getting my hands on a E46 M3 in a little while, and since I love the car I'm always thinking of things to do to it even though I don't have it to myself yet. Where are some places to get a supercharger for an E46 M3? I know there is Dinan, and there are some other random places I've found online awhile ago, but I'm hoping some of you know of a good reliable source somewhere in the GTA.

Thanks for your help.

Supercharger gives you instant power
Turbo lags a bit.

Supercharger are great for track days, turbos are not.

Turbochargers can make a lot more Hp then superchargers.

bubsy12 04-07-2006 09:39 PM

You forgot to mention that Superchargers USE power to make power, whereas Turbochargers use exhaust pressure...

canadaneedsm 04-07-2006 11:41 PM

Ok, next questions. What's better in your opinion, Turbo or Super? Most people seem to have Superchargers on here, so I'm assuming them.. because they don't have the lag of turbos? (other reasons also?)

suicide 04-07-2006 11:47 PM

i love turbo but super chargers just work really well on bmws with stock internals....

but if you want to be diffrent and have more of a challenge then go turbo....

SickFinga 04-08-2006 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadaneedsm
Ok, next questions. What's better in your opinion, Turbo or Super? Most people seem to have Superchargers on here, so I'm assuming them.. because they don't have the lag of turbos? (other reasons also?)

Superchargers are cheaper and easier to maintain.
Yes SC is more street/track friendly, but Turbo is better than centrifugal supercharger.

Twinscrew > Roots > Turbo > Centrifugal.


Anyway, if you want to boost e46 m3, your only solution is centrifugal sc

bubsy12 04-08-2006 02:13 AM

http://www.projectsmc.com/home.html

Looks like an Active Autowerkes Turbo kit is in the making for E46 M3's. Turbo E46 M3 teaser at the end of that vid.

For more power go Turbo, for instant power go Supercharger.
Remember Turbochargers will have minimal lag if mated to an appropriately sized engine. Although Tubo applications are alittle more picky and require more maintanence they will provide the greatest output where it matters. If you are looking for an everyday driver or roadcourse killer, a high HP Turbo application is not for you and an SC is. If you are a 1/4 Mile Drag Monkey or Dyno Queen then spool away with a big Turbo.

canadaneedsm 04-08-2006 10:54 AM

First let me say thanks to everyone who has helped.

Because the car will be something i'd drive everyday most likely, atleast in the summer, a supercharger is sounding like what I'll get. Although nothing is in stone as of yet.

I have two more questions (I'm full of them, lol). The car has SMG, will that make a difference? And will it be more difficult to link everything up because it is SMG?

And secondly, if there is still come kind of warranty on the car, will upgrading it void the warranty? Or certain parts?

SickFinga 04-09-2006 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bubsy12
http://www.projectsmc.com/home.html

Looks like an Active Autowerkes Turbo kit is in the making for E46 M3's. Turbo E46 M3 teaser at the end of that vid.

.


Thats E46 330ci

bubsy12 04-09-2006 11:08 PM

oh shite, sorry :(

Furious 04-09-2006 11:17 PM

here is some more reading that you can do

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=19

BMWags 04-10-2006 03:00 AM

as far as i know, turbo setups are much more complicated when you consider all the the plumbing involved....but both can get stupid complicated depending how much $$ you want to spend

330DTM 04-13-2006 12:30 AM

Actually with regards to superchargers, there's two types, Positive Displacement and Centrifugal.

Positive Displacement (similar to TwinScrew) superchargers give you instant full boost (or at least a really quick build up to full boost) once you step on the throttle.

With the centrifugal supercharger, the boost builds up linearly.

Personally I like the power delivery of the Twin Screw over Centrifugal, but off the top of my head they don't have a kit out there yet for the E46 M3's utilizing the Twin Screw blower.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.