maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   OBC bitching (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67644)

propr'one 03-15-2006 01:38 AM

OBC bitching

Ok check tail light, and more recently, brake light failure.

all the lights work. everything's stock. what's the deal

Alizay 03-15-2006 02:04 AM

shit... i have the same problem... i'm gonna have to get it checked out by an electrician.

djcontra 03-15-2006 02:07 AM

how do all the wires/connectors look? Are they all snug, and secure? Maybe try to take all of the bulbs out and check for corrosion and clean it off...

Stuttgart 03-15-2006 02:55 AM

Common problem with 3er's don't know what the remedy for this one is. Mine does the exact same thing when they work or don't work. Your definetly not alone.

Furious 03-15-2006 03:00 AM

your bulbs are stock as well? i find that even nonstock bulbs can cause it, as well as bad contact or contacts, corrosion and loose connections as contra said.

Stuttgart 03-15-2006 05:45 AM

sand them with some 220 grit, will clean that @#$( up good.

Andy E34 03-15-2006 09:31 AM

Yep mine too....
read another post somewhere that ECU looks at resistance of the circuit so cleaning the contacts and possibly just replacing the lamps in the problem circuits fixes the problem? Sandpaper/ contact cleaner etc. would be my vote for the 1st thing to try.
My SRS dash light stays on and I hear that can be fixed with a re-set tool? Anyone have one of these $120 "tools"

vadim321go 03-15-2006 11:48 AM

mine as well, i actually checked out the wiring in the trunk and i found out they areny plugged in to the original place they shud be, they are rewired! however they do work no problem. check out wats going on in ur trunk

Soldo 03-15-2006 11:50 AM

I have the exact same problem.... and i fixed it by accident.

The solution was.... OEM clear tails!

Once i put the OEM clear tails, i noticed that there was an extra pin in the lights... and i guess the conncetion was better also

propr'one 03-15-2006 03:28 PM

rico.r on the boards has the tool you're talking about andy

yeah i may sand em down. today turned the car on, no errors. stupid OBC

Furious 03-15-2006 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy E34
Yep mine too....
read another post somewhere that ECU looks at resistance of the circuit so cleaning the contacts and possibly just replacing the lamps in the problem circuits fixes the problem? Sandpaper/ contact cleaner etc. would be my vote for the 1st thing to try.
My SRS dash light stays on and I hear that can be fixed with a re-set tool? Anyone have one of these $120 "tools"

srs? thats airbag right? i forget... in any case if it is, a reset tool will only clear the fault for the moment, if you do have a true problem with the SRS than it will come back. probably one of two major causes.. the passenger sensor (under the passenger seat) or one of the seatbelt sensors.

Andy E34 03-15-2006 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Furious
srs? thats airbag right? i forget... in any case if it is, a reset tool will only clear the fault for the moment, if you do have a true problem with the SRS than it will come back. probably one of two major causes.. the passenger sensor (under the passenger seat) or one of the seatbelt sensors.

my '93 has no passenger side air bag...so must be issue with drivers side? How do I check for the problem...can this be diagnosed by another fault "tool" and then ??
BTW...SRS = supplemental restraint system... I think....yep the air bag...LOL

Furious 03-15-2006 04:36 PM

even though you may not have a passenger side airbag, the sensor for the pass seat is still there. im still guessing its either that or the seatbelt buckle. to find the problem? well you need to pull the fault code and referance it. using a modec will find your problem, however im not sure if aftermarket code readers give that information.

BennyL 03-15-2006 06:04 PM

i know the solution!

pull out your OBC and trade me for my 7-button OBC! no warning lights to deal with :D

app 03-16-2006 12:25 AM

The worst is the brake circuit failure. It constantly flashes. Only happens in humidity too.