maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Clunking sound from back (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67322)

BMW Guy 03-09-2006 07:30 PM

Clunking sound from back

I have a 93 325is. When going over bumps I get a loud clunking sound coming from the right rear of the car. Is there any common problems with shocks and/or shock bushings wearing out? Please advise. Thanks

Furious 03-09-2006 07:35 PM

yikes i kinda have the same issue, mine only makes the noise when going over speed bumps or out of driveways slow, i havent noticed the sound at higher speeds.... and thought maybe the subframe, but someone said that subframe failure also makes a nasty noise on hard acceleration (i have yet to comfirm how to diagnose a subframe failure though)... but i have to get the car back on the road and see for myself, it could very well be a problem with the rear shock mounts or trailing arm bushing.

Big T 03-09-2006 08:41 PM

upper rear shock mounts, big problems with those.

Goto the dealer and get m3 ones with z3 reinforment plates

Soldo 03-09-2006 08:53 PM

Ya, more than likely its your RSM, mine are shot to hell and make a noise like all hell breaking loose at speeds above 120km!

markw 03-09-2006 09:33 PM

my car did that... it was my rear control arm bushings

Justin e36 03-09-2006 09:39 PM

what can cause it:
1. shock mounts, you'll notice it more on bumps and potholes.
2. trailing arm bushings, while going 40km/h slam on the gas... if the bushing is gone you'll usually feel the back of the car jerk to one side.
3. subframe bushings, you'll notice the knocking whenever the rear subframe is put under stress. bumps, potholes, hard braking, hard acceleration. it's usually a very quiet THUD sound.
4. could be any one of your mounts, or differential bolts.

Also be sure to make sure your spare tire is secured, as well as your car jack. I remember I once had a small bottle that fell down there and was rolling around whenever I hit the brakes... sounded a lot like a dying RSM.

I've had a thumping sound at the back of my car since I ran over a 4x4 log at 80km/h... fell off a pickup truck right in front of me, and the car was airborn. Looks like it's a torn subframe bushing... I just have to keep tightening that subframe bolt every year or so, till I can afford to get it fixed properly.

vadim321go 03-09-2006 10:48 PM

for me i my problem is that the metal panel that goes all the way under the car is rusty and in some places its broken due to rust. when the car is cold it causes it to shake and make horrible noises. dont jump the gun thinking something is truly broken. i checked everything out and everythign works, its just that stupid metal thing thats rusted

superman123 03-09-2006 11:12 PM

if u hear that noise from the front ..with new struts
might that be bushings or mounts (didnt change the mounts when i changed the struts )(i kinda suspect those)
i hear it when i take a quick corner or some bumps

Jari 03-09-2006 11:47 PM

I'm betting rear shock mounts. Not an expensive fix even if you upgrade them with aftermarket mounts. I've changed mine so many times I can do them both in under an hour.

kzy 03-10-2006 12:18 AM

I had a very similiar sounding problem with my car, and thought it was something to do with my shocks as well.

Took it in to Rocco at RMP, and he diagnosed it quickly as simply a loose parking brake, so he tightened everything up, and no more clunking/rattling

98Dinan3 03-10-2006 12:50 AM

just did rogue rsm's and they helped to rid the car of the rear end clunk. they're nice sturdy pieces.

BMW Guy 03-10-2006 09:24 PM

It was the right RSM. I replaced both while I was at it. Both changed in less then an hour. Not bad. It's a quiet ride now. Thanks for your suggestions.