maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   latest (political correctness ?) move by Yahoo (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66437)

e36chick 02-21-2006 01:31 PM

latest (political correctness ?) move by Yahoo

Apparently now you cannot sign up for a Yahoo email account if your username contains "allah" in it.

My sister's friend tried it...his last name is cALLAHan...wasn't able to get a user ID with his last name. out of curiosity i tried it too, and only if you misspell it, can you use it.

now i'm not anti-Islam or anything...but isnt this a bit much???

Miguel 02-21-2006 01:33 PM

they're trying to not offend people for fear of suicide bombings at the yahoo headquarters.

can't blame a company for that.

Justin e36 02-21-2006 01:40 PM

yahoo has a lot of "reserved words" that cannot be used in email addresses. no big deal.
actually, i'd have to say its a smart move on their part... even a little proactive.

e36chick 02-21-2006 01:49 PM

ok but...shouldnt they have it programmed that words, names like Callahan are valid and dont get filtered out? i dont know, i think that's too much...

like after sept 11 that muslim guy in t.o whose personal license plate "JIHAD" was revoked bc of being offensive...when really it was his last name.

it seems like too much of ass-kissing of the masses to me.

Justin e36 02-21-2006 01:53 PM

*shrugs* ... if some people find certain words rude, sexist, racist, or just offensive, they're going to do something to help resolve the conflict. his real last name may be JIHAD, but other motorists don't know that---and many will jump to conclusions.

As for words like Callahan being valid, they don't add this into the filter. It's a wildcard filter they add on to reserved words, so bad****word would be filtered as well since it has a swear word in it.

Just trying to resolve conflict really.

Miguel 02-21-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by e36chick
ok but...shouldnt they have it programmed that words, names like Callahan are valid and dont get filtered out? i dont know, i think that's too much...

like after sept 11 that muslim guy in t.o whose personal license plate "JIHAD" was revoked bc of being offensive...when really it was his last name.

it seems like too much of ass-kissing of the masses to me.

bastards wouldnt let my KIL WHITY plates go through either *sad*

sirex 02-21-2006 07:38 PM

If I saw Jihad on some dudes plates Id think hes actualyl starting a Jihad and Id be very scared.

also these words are banned for simple reasons... for instance...

a person who hates mulsim religion or any religion for that matter

allah_thescumbag
death_to_allah
allah_is_not_the_real_god
allag_is_a_lie
jesus_sucks_balls
jesus_69_withmen
jesus_luvs_cok