maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   hey guys a lil help is much appreciated..... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64591)

*Luv_it* 01-19-2006 12:16 AM

hey guys a lil help is much appreciated.....

so here it goes.....last week everytime i locked or unlocked my car doors i would here a clicking sound...and just yesterday as i was heading out i couldnt unlock my doors....the key turns but the locks wont open.....is there ne way i can get into my car without going crazy and breaking the window*uzi* like through the back or something.....i have a '99 jetta gls....i think the lock cylinder broke....my dad says it could be the battery....but when i open my trunk the light still comes on....but he said its because it doesnt require as much power as opening the doors.....i dunno does ne one have ne suggestions and what it might cost to replace the lock cylinder if that ends up being the problem...thanks*sad*

Wannabe 01-19-2006 12:20 AM

can you not go threw the trunk?

what if you tried opening the passenger side door. and also do you not have the keyless?

*Luv_it* 01-19-2006 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wannabe3
can you not go threw the trunk?

what if you tried opening the passenger side door. and also do you not have the keyless?

i tried the trunk but i couldnt find a handle to open the seats.....i only have one lock which is on the driver's side....and no i dont have keyless:(

Gianpaolo_E46 01-19-2006 12:31 AM

lol i think the handles are on top of the seats beside the headrests on the inside of the car. and it cant be the battery because if u put the key in and turn it doesnt use the battery. theres something wrong with the lock. get it towed to a dealer.

try the ski pass if you have one.

*Luv_it* 01-19-2006 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gianpaolo_E46
lol i think the handles are on top of the seats beside the headrests on the inside of the car. and it cant be the battery because if u put the key in and turn it doesnt use the battery. theres something wrong with the lock. get it towed to a dealer.

try the ski pass if you have one.

whats a ski pass?:confused:

coolhand 01-19-2006 12:53 AM

Call a tow truck and tell him that you locked your keys in your car under the seat or somthing. That way when he tries to open it and if it dosnt work his job isnt done and he dosnt get paid, if that don't work then you gotta get it towed.

coolhand 01-19-2006 12:54 AM

He can also try to unlock it from the passenger side, if the driver side dont work.

*Luv_it* 01-19-2006 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekniq
Call a tow truck and tell him that you locked your keys in your car under the seat or somthing. That way when he tries to open it and if it dosnt work his job isnt done and he dosnt get paid, if that don't work then you gotta get it towed.

yeah but its put in park...hows he going to tow it?:(

propr'one 01-19-2006 02:24 AM

flatbed?

E36er 01-19-2006 02:27 AM

assuming is a bimmer, they just pic the back end up and tow it (Duh)...had mine towed a few times

propr'one 01-19-2006 02:45 AM

uhh, she CLEARLY said it was a jetta gls. but it is late, and you're not jstalin. so im not hatin:D

Justin e36 01-19-2006 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *Luv_it*
so here it goes.....last week everytime i locked or unlocked my car doors i would here a clicking sound...and just yesterday as i was heading out i couldnt unlock my doors....the key turns but the locks wont open.....is there ne way i can get into my car without going crazy and breaking the window*uzi* like through the back or something.....i have a '99 jetta gls....i think the lock cylinder broke....my dad says it could be the battery....but when i open my trunk the light still comes on....but he said its because it doesnt require as much power as opening the doors.....i dunno does ne one have ne suggestions and what it might cost to replace the lock cylinder if that ends up being the problem...thanks*sad*

I think you're right, part of the locking mechanism is broken. If the lock cylinder itself was broken it would turn in circles.. or the "lock" and "unlock" positions would be all messed up.

All Jetta's have a nice little courtesy feature I bet you didn't know about though. Turn the key twice to unlock and hold it there for a few seconds, the windows (and sunroof if you have) will roll down automatically. This is to ventilate your Jetta on a hot day.

If your battery is dead, then this will not work. You will need to get a positive and negative terminal onto your battery (where is it located?).. I remember a friend's Jetta had it located in the front driver's side wheel well. Then you can unlock your doors / wind down the windows.

Your last resort is to call a tow truck operator who has a slim jim, and ask him to shimmy your car open. Tell him you want a balloon used, to make sure he doesn't scratch the paint or bend the frame on the door.

Need more info, feel free to ask.

Justin

*Luv_it* 02-03-2006 06:40 PM

well....two weeks aFTER I POSTED MY LOCK PROBLEM....MY LOCK CYLINDER HAS ARRIVED.....NOW MY QUESTION IS....DOES NE ONE KNOW HOW MUCH A LOCK CYLINDER USUALLY GOES FOR:confused: ? IF SO PLS REPLY...thanks:)