maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   GTI 1.8T vs. 540i (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55433)

eh? 06-12-2005 08:09 PM

GTI 1.8T vs. 540i

After leaving a friend's house in Etobicoke I ended up sitting at the intersection of Burnhamthorpe and East Mall. I was in the right lane and two young guys in a 540i were in the left lane. Everyone tries to get the jump out of the light and cut across to the right to get on the 427.

Even though I was certain this guy was going to floor it to beat me to the onramp - I didn't do anything about it. This intersection is complete crap. The pavement is slippery, heaving, and has been patched in many spots. No traction to be had there.

Instead I decided to get behind him on the onramp and pass him on the highway. He floored it at the end of the onramp. I ended up getting stuck behind him because of another car and had to lift off of the throttle so as to avoid merging with the back end of his 540i. After we passed the car blocking the right lane, I passed him pretty easily in 3rd gear. I bet he didn't see that coming. *wiggle*

It must have been an early E39. The BBS wheels looked pretty old school. It did move pretty good for a heavy car. I've been seriously considering a used E39 in addition to my Golf. I don't know if I'll be able to justify the gas bill that goes along with a 540i. Maybe a 530i.

windwagen 06-12-2005 09:27 PM

I wonder if he was still "on it"? Your Golf has some serious mods right?

Gas mileage for a 6 speed 540 averages around 23MPG, which I think is pretty good considering the size and performance. I used to drive a Jetta Wagon. It's prety hard to compare the two cars. One thing for sure, the E39 has tons more room all around esp the rear seats (except the wagon trunk). The 5 has a lot silly features that the VW just cannot compete with. My favourite is the heated steering wheel.

eh? 06-13-2005 12:19 AM

He was still on it - trust me. He kept trying to get me to go on the 401, but there was just too much traffic. I wasn't willing to risk it.

That's why I want a 5 Series as a second car. It'll have to be dumped on BBS wheels though.

I went and picked up a different friend from Etobicoke tonight. Raced an E46 330i on the 427 N. He got the jump on me and I was in the wrong gear. He didn't look too happy when I started pulling away from him.

I also played with a modified SRT-4 on Eglinton in Mississauga. He too got the jump on me, but the lowly Golf prevailed.

Raging Lamb 06-13-2005 12:27 AM

Those stock 1.8Ts can beat just about anything these days, even 540s.

eh? 06-13-2005 12:29 AM

The 1.8T can never lose. *shiner*

Actually, my shit is slow. The cars that I beat are just slower.

Raging Lamb 06-13-2005 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eh?
The 1.8T can never lose. *shiner*

Actually, my shit is slow. The cars that I beat are just slower.

Yup, I haven't heard one good thing about the shitty APR Stage III. Or the V8 that goes in the POS 540s.

eh? 06-13-2005 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raging Lamb
Yup, I haven't heard one good thing about the shitty APR Stage III. Or the V8 that goes in the POS 540s.

I can't speak for the BMW V8, but the APR Stage III kit is definitely wood.

windwagen 06-13-2005 07:54 AM

eh....I think you are talking about the BBS Cross -Spoke design? Style 5?

I like the BBS Style 5 wheels. Call me biased, but the first time I spotted a 540 sport with those deep dish wheels, I knew I'd have to have that car one day! To me, very few cars come with wheels that are functional (17", lightweight), Strong (BBS no less)and cosmetically striking. Everyone has different tastes, but there's something about a stock (looking) Black on Black (with no chrome trim) 540, and those shiny wheels that says .... "Road Eating Machine"

Bigbore 06-15-2005 11:53 AM

nice run dude :) whens the stage3+ commin in :)

myndgone 06-15-2005 01:48 PM

hey, thats in my area..i'm on West Mall & Bloor...hope to run into you again *th-up*
nice run!

M3ti Compact 06-15-2005 02:02 PM

In the end, he STILL has the pimper car

eh? 06-15-2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3ti Compact
In the end, he STILL has the pimper car

I definitely admit that. That's why I've been considering a 5 Series for a while now.

Raging Lamb 06-15-2005 11:30 PM

I saw a silver GTI with blacked out rims on Burnhamthorpe south of mississauga rd today, lowered + exhaust from what I could tell. Looked pretty good.

eh? 06-15-2005 11:45 PM

Pfft. Nothing is hotter than this:

http://mindtrends.com/gallery/albums.../aad.sized.jpg

:D

myndgone 06-15-2005 11:47 PM

your rims are sweet...but get that little box outta here! :D