maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Trying to explain Bimmer. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528)

Gamite 01-14-2002 07:24 PM

Trying to explain Bimmer.

How do you pronounce bimmer? I pronounce it Beemer, but since beemer is for the bikes, should we be pronouncing it b"eh"mer?

ALSO, I had a hard time convincing my friends who dont know cars, it was spell't bimmer and not beemer. anyone else have this problem?

AzN_E46 01-14-2002 07:48 PM

ya...very annoying...
but since ppl say 'beemer' you can't really expect them to spell it bimmer. i pronounce it 'beemer'

azn330i 01-14-2002 08:11 PM

Re: Trying to explain Bimmer.

Quote:

Originally posted by Gamite
ALSO, I had a hard time convincing my friends who dont know cars, it was spell't bimmer and not beemer. anyone else have this problem?
OMG ALL THE TIME!!!!! everytime i come to maXbimmer, my friends are always asking why it's bimmer and says it's suppose to be beemer or beamer because bimmer would be pronounced behmmer and they think it's wrong........well some people ask too much, so i just tell them to spell it however they want

Usic 01-14-2002 09:31 PM

Both bimmer and beamer/beemer are pronouced the same from what I heard. I know a old retired surgeon who lives in Barrie has 4 Beemers and 2 bimmers.

Bimmer=cars
Beemer/beamer=bikes

Schnell 01-15-2002 08:32 PM

I say pronounce them the way they are spelled, personally I cringe everytime I hear someone say "beemer."

bobo 01-15-2002 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Schnell
I say pronounce them the way they are spelled, personally I cringe everytime I hear someone say "beemer."

same

Gamite 01-15-2002 10:22 PM

I cringe when ppl say "oh, so you got uh, a B. M. eh?"

Thats how u can tell they're not car guys the say BM for short instead of Bimmer.. lol.

The way I convince them its bimmer, is I just say go look at the magazine 'bimmer'

djcontra 01-17-2002 01:42 PM

My friends are the same
They even refer to the song "got the keys to my beamer"
and beanie man actually spelled it beamer =(

I can't convince them otherwise it's bimmer

But then again when they asked what kind of car i used to drive,
i said "fiero"
and they said "what? ferrari?"
"no no no, fiero"
"yeah ferrari!"
"uhhh...yeah whatever"

eventually i put a f355 kit on my fiero, and now they just call it "holy shit!"

jinushaun 01-18-2002 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Schnell
Umm... it is spelled bimmer, so if I was German, I'd pronounce it beemer. Most cultures don't pronounce "i" like English does. "I" is usually an "ee" sound unless otherwise specified.

Well there's a lot of confusion about the spelling. Unless you're in "the know", you just won't know any better. I was confused about the spelling to until I say the magazine Bimmer at a local book store. No one tells you or you're afraid to ask. C'mon, we were all newbies once. Don't get mad at them for being ignorant, educate them. Make the world a better place.

Gamite 01-18-2002 01:29 AM

I dont mind when they ask, I mind when its impossible to educate them.. lol..

theblue 01-18-2002 12:19 PM

bim-mer