maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   R-compound usage, ambiant temperature (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51892)

thinair 04-08-2005 11:55 AM

R-compound usage, ambiant temperature

Is there a temperature that I shouldn't use R-compound in??

I'm debating using them for the auto-x this sunday. I know in an auto-x the tires will never realy heat up, and the track will be cold. It's going to a high of 16C on Sunday, but that is at like 12 or 1pm. Should I stick to my T1S's or try out the RA1's?

LOBO M-COUPE 04-08-2005 03:38 PM

Both!!!

Nelson... I say you bring your full arsenal. Try the T1's for three runs.. and then the RA1's for the last two. It would be interesting to find out what works. I can help you switch them quickly between heats.

Cheers,
MJL.

P.S. In the third instant, I have a suggestion. Run the R compounds on one side of the car and T1's on the other side. Use you G-Tech to measure the maximum G-force achieved. Half way through the lap we can have a pit stop set up with hydraulics and the remaining two tires of each remaining set. After a data analysis meeting, a decision will be made by the pit 'crew' committee and the side achieving less adhesion will be replaced. We can do this for all five runs.... to ensure you're getting the most outta your tires. I nominate myself to be the head of the pit crew committee (thus ensuring every remaining competitor has a chance to catch up... *th-up*...LOL ).

See you on sunday!

WOT 04-08-2005 10:11 PM

T1-s

Nelson,
Leave the RA-1's at home this Sunday. At spring temperatures, they need time to warm up to be competitive. More time than an autocross would offer. Also, R compounds will add to your PAX points and might bump you up into another time handicap value.

paulmon 04-09-2005 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WOT
Nelson,
Leave the RA-1's at home this Sunday. At spring temperatures, they need time to warm up to be competitive. More time than an autocross would offer. Also, R compounds will add to your PAX points and might bump you up into another time handicap value.

Judging by Netson's sig and current mods his R-Comps will most likely be allowed in his class without penalty. In fact the PAX would take R-Comps into account if he ends on in a class they are allowed. As such it might be to his disadvantage NOT to bring them. However, I wouldn't run the RA-1s below 10-12 degrees for an autocross and that is only if it is sunny like today the "track" temperature should be sufficient. However the RA-1 require more heat than say a Kumho Victoracer or Hoosier autocross specific A3S05.

Bring them, try them and see.

Paul

b00b00 04-09-2005 11:39 PM

One fall I was up at Shanonville for one of the last track days before they closed the track for the winter and there were a few race cars running Pirelli P-Zero R-compound. During the day it was maybe 10 deg. or so but the previous night it had gone down below zero. Some tires had developed radial fissures in the sidewalls...

So, word to the wise, don't leave your r-comps overnight to freeze and then take them on to the track. It appears that they don't like it much. It may not happen with all makes and models but it's a pricey gamble to make. (especially in 17 inch)

~andre~

Rollie 04-14-2005 02:00 PM

RA1"s and Autocross in low temps...

Nelson,
forget the RA1's this time of year...UNLESS you are on the track (ie. Mosport) and have several laps to get them warm. In 10-15c temps with no warm up, you'll be better off w/ your streets.

Dave

msix 04-14-2005 11:59 PM

First question: would you fall into a different class or have a better PAX time if you would use Street tires?

If yes, then use street tires.

Having said that, I would say that R-comp tires are softer, even in colder temperatures. They will most likely not get sticky, but they are still softer then street tires, therfore better adhesion.
So I would think that you will have better grip with the RA-1, but not enough to take full advantage of them if you would get bumped into a different class BECAUSE of them.

If the R-compound tires you are using is getting you into a higher class you cannot change to other tires and be re-classed halfway through the day, same thing the other way around. If you are classed acording to street tires, you cannot change them to R's midway through the day.

If you are comming to the SPDA SOLO II school on sunday this all does not matter, because it is not a competition, and Class and PAX does not mean anything. It would be actually a perfect day to test the differences throughout the day with these tires.

Klaus

thinair 04-15-2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msix
First question: would you fall into a different class or have a better PAX time if you would use Street tires?

Well, with the amount of mods I have done, I can't see me going into another class. I think the only mods I didn't have that were on the list (that I can remember) were adjustable dampers, racing seats, r-comps, removal of rear seats, engine swap and forced induction.

Randy said it best, with the amount of mods I have I'm better off just showing up with a formula car....:P

I'm more then likely going to bring them out to the next even anyway. It'd save some wear on my street tires.

rico328i 04-15-2005 12:33 AM

size

What size are you R compound wheels Nelson? Would you drop down to 16's? Just curious.

thinair 04-15-2005 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico328i
What size are you R compound wheels Nelson? Would you drop down to 16's? Just curious.

235/40/17, same as my street tires, same rims too.

msix 04-15-2005 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinair
Well, with the amount of mods I have done, I can't see me going into another class. I think the only mods I didn't have that were on the list (that I can remember) were adjustable dampers, racing seats, r-comps, removal of rear seats, engine swap and forced induction.

Randy said it best, with the amount of mods I have I'm better off just showing up with a formula car....:P

I'm more then likely going to bring them out to the next even anyway. It'd save some wear on my street tires.

Well, you would be right up there with me in the same class then. I have a M50 motor swap and that puts me right into the big league class *mumble*
Are you going to the SOLO School on sunday or to a different event.
Here in Ottawa I hardly ever get to compete against other BMWs. I will drive my RA-1 for sure, the forecast looks like nice and warm temperatures, good enough for me.

Klaus

thinair 04-15-2005 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msix
Are you going to the SOLO School on sunday or to a different event.

I'm not going to any event this weekend, I'd like to go to the SOLO school this Sunday, but it's not going to work out due to prior family commitments. Ah well, next time. I'm really looking forward to the Auto-x on May 1st now though.

thinair 04-16-2005 04:39 PM

As a reference point, what pressure should I set these tires at to start for auto-x? I'm obviously going to chalk them and adjust accordingly, but for the first run I'm kinda going in blind. With my streets I usually run about 35f/37r. If it matters my car has -2 camber all around.

Peter1998 04-16-2005 09:33 PM

I dont know how much for Auto-X. but for my lapping on a R032 tires last year. i found best around 37/39