maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Track Junkies (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Autocross Season Is Quickly Coming Upon Us!!! (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50816)

LOBO M-COUPE 03-22-2005 12:05 PM

Autocross Season Is Quickly Coming Upon Us!!!

We have the BMW Trillium Chapter Autocross just around the corner *th-up* (April 10th). Located at the MDS parking lot, located off the 400hwy near Langstaff road (see BMW Trillium website for directions). For those of you who are new to this format of competition, itís a great way to find the limits of your vehicle without endangering it with concrete walls (ask Rolf!!), other (perhaps over-zealous) track competitors, or grass run-off zones that can potentially flip your car (a combination of sliding sideways through wet grassÖ donít ask me how I know!!). The course (consisting of narrowly spaced pylons) has the competitor up against the clock. Hit a cone and look for an additional 2 seconds added to your time. The beauty of this type of competition is such that itís not overly stressful on your car (unless your name is Randy!!) and it rewards handling over power. SoÖ what do you need to compete? A road worthy car, tire pressure gauge (trust me!) and your annual BMW Club membership $54 + $15 entry fee for each autocross event. If itís any consolation, a portion of the entry fee is donated to the Sick Kids Foundation. Guest memberships are more than welcome, hence non-BMW owners. As a matter of fact, 40% of the usual competitors are non-BMWís; itís a testament to the quality and the affordability of the event Trillium puts on. Helmets are NOT required. Best of all, every car is placed in a respective category that considers your modifications, displacement and drive configuration (ie: rear, front, awd).

Hope to see as many of you out this yearÖ. and be for-warned class D is super competitive :mad: (consisting of moderately modified E30, E36, E46ís and stock M3ís and M-Coupť :D /Roadsterís). Timeís separating 1st-7th are usually within tenths of a second, consider it your very own F1 qualifying session :cool: (albeit costing $99.9985m less and you get five stints at posting your best time!!)Ö You tell me where you can have more fun for $15??

For you newbie's, shoot me an email with any questions you may have Valentino_caparossi@hotmail.com P.S. Save all your spare change and buy yourself R compund tires..... or you can try galvanizing a thin layer of 'Hubba-Bubba' to your tires!!!!

Mystikal 03-22-2005 12:56 PM

I've been counting the weeks. :) I'll be in a stock E46 for at least the first session, I just can't keep up with the R-compounded M's and rollbarred race cars in class D, the rules need to be changed IMO. In any case, I'm in it all for fun, not like I'd set FTD with the best car out there anyways. :D

Let's get a roll call of who's participating this season:
LOBO M-COUPE
Mystikal

Axxe 03-22-2005 01:40 PM

If I didn't have exams during that time, I would come out for sure.

thinair 03-22-2005 03:23 PM

I'll be there, finally with R compounds!!

Not that it matters when you're against an S54 M Coupe, a couple E30 track cars, and whatever Randy is in.

I love it, it's so much fun. I encourage everyone to come out and try it, or at least watch it and ask to get a ride for a run, see how good your stomachs really are.

330DTM 03-22-2005 03:25 PM

I won't be autocrossing this season (so sad cause I miss it), but I will be dropping by a few times to get some video footage for future projects. I'll be showing up on May for sure though to start filming. So if you want to see yourself navigating through the auto-x course, I'll be there to capture it.

EMPOWERD 03-22-2005 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinair

Not that it matters when you're against an S54 M Coupe, a couple E30 track cars, and whatever Randy is in.

LOL! :D wait till you see the weapon i'm bringing out this season! It's my friend's car (perfect instrument for cutting up BMW times at parking lots).

This year the Trillium chapter has developed a new points system for autocrossing. Don't know specific details yet, but the point structure is similar to SOLOII. Each competitor is given a "factorial" number to divide onto their time depending on modifications done to each car.

example:
stock E36 325i (factorial) 1.0
E36 325i w/R-comp (factorial) 0.89

These "factorial" numbers are already calculated depending on specific mods. The number is then divided by your time, which makes your time slower (closer to the stock car's).

note: this is only an example, don't quote me on this info.... it will be posted with detail soon

straight_6 03-22-2005 11:51 PM

I'll be there with my civic of DEATH!!

At least for the first couple of events.
I'll most likely post better times with the civic then my bimmer.

SpoolinS6 03-22-2005 11:58 PM

ill b theyre with the quattro

KIRASIR 03-23-2005 04:31 AM

Randy,

Does it mean that they finally got rid of the gay class system, and our poor slow 4 bangers can now compete with the 6 cyl models??!!? (where's the evil smilie when you need it. :D)

SL

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPOWERD
LOL! :D wait till you see the weapon i'm bringing out this season! It's my friend's car (perfect instrument for cutting up BMW times at parking lots).

This year the Trillium chapter has developed a new points system for autocrossing. Don't know specific details yet, but the point structure is similar to SOLOII. Each competitor is given a "factorial" number to divide onto their time depending on modifications done to each car.

example:

These "factorial" numbers are already calculated depending on specific mods. The number is then divided by your time, which makes your time slower (closer to the stock car's).

note: this is only an example, don't quote me on this info.... it will be posted with detail soon

Mystikal 03-23-2005 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EMPOWERD

example:

Now this system, with some fine tuning over time of course, will make it much more interesting. *th-up*

bmwm5lover 03-23-2005 12:26 PM

Im definitely planning on attending this year. Hopefully all goes well...

SpoolinS6 03-23-2005 03:17 PM

all the bushings on the quattro were changed etc :) bone stock audi :)

Manimillion 03-24-2005 03:25 AM

This might be a stupid question, but the autocross's that the trillium chapter holds, are they BMW only?

How much are the entry fee's?

NickP 03-24-2005 03:55 AM

If the weather holds up like tonight I'll be there with the winter beater - snow tires and all.

EMPOWERD 03-24-2005 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilOnWheelz
This might be a stupid question, but the autocross's that the trillium chapter holds, are they BMW only?

How much are the entry fee's?

That's the great thing about the BMWCC, it's not segregated to BMW's only. Bring whatever you want (to any of the events). Once we had an H1 Hummer go through the autocross. The cost is $15 per event (for members). $54 for the annual membership fee.