maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Videos and Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   **Video** STW BMW.. (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4927)

ROB89M3 08-21-2002 09:47 PM

**Video** STW BMW..

Must check this video.
http://212.204.249.189/video/Assen-bmwSTW.wmv

:)That car has a 7 speed sequential gearbox!!!

ROB89M3 08-21-2002 09:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the car:

330DTM 08-22-2002 01:30 AM

I love the E36 touring cars!
they make that cool high pitch screaming sound when the speed of the car goes higher and higher.
more more more!

ROB89M3 08-22-2002 01:32 AM

It's the sequential gearbox that makes that noise.

I know that Hollinger makes sequential gearboxes. I would love to have those gearboxes!!!!

SickFinga 08-22-2002 06:04 AM

got a couple of questions regarding the vide:
1st - How come there is nothing faster than that bimmer, and he passing Porsche like rascals. And it is not even m3.
2nd - Why it says Lotus Eclipse V8?
3rd - Why it make a louder noise when he upshifts??? It doesn't make sense, when you upshift you lower the RPM, so sound should pitch should go down, not up.

Gamite 08-22-2002 07:50 AM

Rob, any more specs on that car? That video was crazy. Looks like he came out on top, he was lapping all the cars..

ROB89M3 08-22-2002 07:58 AM

He has an E30 M3 S-14 engine producing 300 hp.7 speed sequential gearbox.Thats all i know.

330DTM 08-22-2002 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by SickFinga
got a couple of questions regarding the vide:
1st - How come there is nothing faster than that bimmer, and he passing Porsche like rascals. And it is not even m3.
2nd - Why it says Lotus Eclipse V8?
3rd - Why it make a louder noise when he upshifts??? It doesn't make sense, when you upshift you lower the RPM, so sound should pitch should go down, not up.

1st: Maybe because it's the driver. They put him in midfield and purposely make him work his way up. Unless he got penalized during qualifying and was put to the back of the pack
3rd: Like what rob said, the Sequential gearbox, but i love that sound!

Anyways, the STW cars were used in the British Touring Car Champinship, German Touring Car Championship and also the Austrialian touring car for all I know. I used to watch it on Speedvision, but since it's stupid now, they don't show it. Also BMW dropped out of the BTCC, German, and Austrialian around the mid to late 90's for all i know.

Got any more vids of the E36 STW Rob?

WASABI 08-22-2002 01:34 PM

:eek: ... I'd love to ride shotgun with that driver!:D That dude was passing everybody!:eek: *mw* left and right, OMG.

I think the sound is from the gears themselves, the higher the gear, more teeth on the gear, thus more frequency of sound, also hence the higher "frequency" sound. Is that right, higher gear = more teeth?

ROB89M3 09-06-2002 10:01 PM

Here are some more pics of this incredible machine!

Click here!

rico328i 09-07-2002 08:05 PM

thanks

Rob,

Thanks for that video!! Wow. Like everyone says - he was passing just about everybody at will! Even the Porsches......is he that good of a driver?? Or is that car making extremely good horsepower? Regardless....good video clip.

Rico

P.S. You guys all noticed that higher pitch sound as he upshifted too......

mogie 09-11-2002 07:39 PM

Huh?? What!!!! I can't hear you....did ya 's say something????
Dang all I hear is this loud whine in my head.....hello.......*wave*

535ibmw 09-11-2002 11:55 PM

daaaaaaaaaaaaang that sounded nice, so the gearbox makes it sound like that huh, how much does one of those cost, and are they avalible for automatics.

Rutger 09-13-2002 11:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This car is an STW car which was build by BMW Motorsport for an italian racing team in 1999. Is has competed in 2000 and was sold to privateers in 2001.

Is is now racing in a Dutch cup event which is called Dutch Supercar Challenge (www.supercarchallenge.nl)

The keyword for this car is balance. The car wheigs as less as 1000 kilograms without using carbon fiber for the doors or the roof. The engine is placed behind the front axle to optimize balance. Every single gram in this car is in the correct place. The cornering speeds of this car are extremely high. It's not very fast when accelerating but as soon as the car is on speed it just keeps going!

There are two engines for this car, a race engine which lasts 500 km's and an endurance engine which lasts 1500km.

Building costs of this car are 1 million dutch guilders ($ 400K). + parts!

Running costs are quite high as well :-)

I've got loads of pictures from this car. The owners of this car are always next to me in the pitbox when racing. I'll upload the pics and post the URL!

The reason for the high pitch of sound in the video is because of the gearbox used. A sequential gearbox has straight gearwheels instead of sharpened ones, this is why you hear them.

Enclosed is a picture of my onw racing car which has an M3 engine, but due to the balance I cannot compete with the STW by far! - You see the STW passing me as well on the video ...

Cheers

Rutger