maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Rides (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Update on Project E30 4.0 v8 (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4739)

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 01:23 PM

Update on Project E30 4.0 v8

Well i stripped down the car completely, nothing left but the bare body which is getting sand blasted as we speak and is going to be painted sometime this week in metallic orange. As for all the other parts, some of the parts i've kept to see if i can reuse them like the whole interior; although i'm planning on putting in a e46 m3 interior rear lights. I sold the E36 m3 engine, it was a nice little package but it wasnt enough for me, so going in will be a nice 4.0 liter V8 plenty of power there. Fuel system?... i just got rid of it, wasnt even worth to save it. It was in terrible condition so going to get a stand-alone put in. As far as suspension goes i got rid of everything, getting all new stuff custom made out of magnesium/titanium or alloy not sure what yet. From the front I removed the hood, grille and grille-spoilers. I'm going to get them all painted and clear coated so the paint doesn't chip (the grille is a faded black color, i have to get that done so it looks mint). Lights?... i'm keeping, but putting in xenon bulbs: a must! aswell as angel eyes and eyebrows. Mirrors i sold and getting new e46 mirrors on aswell as the e46 side fender vents that proudly say M3. Rims, i'm going with 7.5 x 16 with a 25 or 35 mm offset and in the back going with 9.0 x 16 with a 15mm offset. should look sweet. Anyways, besides that there isnt much except of course for the electrical system and that's getting replaced aswell with a new one. The convertbile top i'm getting rid of. I'm gonna find myself a hardtop convertible so i can have the best of both worlds. As far as body work goes, I might go with a e46 front bumper and e36 side skirts and custom rear bumper with duals on the back. Probably gonna go with a Dinan or AC Schnitzer, or maybe with Scorpion or Magnex would be nice, we'll see. I already have the new engine just waiting for the body to come back and for the subframe for the v8 with the engine mounts to see what i have to change but no big deal it's definitely worth the work. As far as that, i havent thought that much ahead. Well, that's it for now i'm gonna try to snap some pic up as soon as the body comes back so you guys have something to drool over.

**E30 4.0 V8**
"Ricer Eating Machine"

beemerboy 08-13-2002 01:33 PM

Sounds nice :)*th-up*

Eurostyle 08-13-2002 01:53 PM

Nice! but just HOW MUCH is that "small" project going to cost???
P.S. 16" rims?!!!:huh?: *thmbsdwn*

e30m52power 08-13-2002 02:29 PM

what engine are you using for this "project"? Please say it's still BMW Powered *no-no*

Lil'Smoothie 08-13-2002 02:59 PM

sounds awesome but 16' wheels?
whats up with that?

MP525i 08-13-2002 03:10 PM

I agree. 16" wheels are no good. Go with 18". They will fill better. If they're too heavy get the 17" E34 M5's. Those are pretty light.

That is gonna be one hot car!!!!! Please, Please take pics asap!! this is gonna be nuts. How is the balancing gonna be. A heavy V8 in the front of such a light car? Maybe someone can explain that to me. :D

The next question is, what type of system are you gonna go with; supercharger or turbo charger?????

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:16 PM

Yeah it's still going to be BMW Powered the engine is a 4.0 liter V8 out of a 1995 Bmw 540i sport.282 horses not bad will do for now and 295 lbs. of torque so nto bad hopefully i'll have some room to drop in a turbo.oh yeah i forget to mention i ripped out the radiator completely no radiator no more getting a custom intercooler made instead of the radiator should be running cool and sweet and soem of you are asking what's up with the 16's well i was gonna go with 19's or 20 but even tires for 17 and 18's are hard to find so i decided to go with 16's plus the 16's are easier to spin.but well see if i can get a turbo in there i'll bump the rims up to 18 or 19 i dotn think i'm gonna go as big as 20 cause that's pushing it but well see.ALsop someone asked how much this project is costing me not 2 much i hope right now it's up to about 11 grand that's with the cost of the engine sandblasting job and paint job well jsut to give you a over look or how much it's gonna cost to finsih it i'm gonna put in about another 20-30 grand into to it and have it tear up the streets.Most of the parts i can get for little money since i work at a shop and get discount so it's not that bad.If you wanna discuss anything jsut email me about anything any questions in general.

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:20 PM

Well you aksed aobut the balancing aspect of the project well i'm getting the whole suspension remade as i said before going to be made so that i can fit springs out of a 850csi so the fornt doesnt sag the spring should be good since they we're made to hold up a nice 12 so that's what i'm going with.

Lil'Smoothie 08-13-2002 03:21 PM

awesome

20's would never fit on an E30 tho....

I think 18's would be perfect, and with 300 horses they wouldnt be that hard to spin

MP525i 08-13-2002 03:22 PM

Yeah, one more... you will be making it to all the Jersey DTM meets right?!!!! You gonna show in that bad boy. I'm really egar to see the end product. Don't worry about spinning the wheels. If you're pushing out that much horsepower, I think the weight of the 18's or even 19's will do just as good a job as the 16's. I'm in Jersey too!

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:25 PM

Oh yeah i will be making it to the jersey meets one thing that might be hard to do for me is keep it under the speed limit.but should be nice if i can fit a turbo in it gonna be a t3/t4 hybrid should be plenty.anyway if you wanna talk to me directly im me on aim shadownight14.

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:27 PM

I think i can fit 20's on the e30 hell all i gotta do i roll the fender outt that's about it. not that hard to do

e30m52power 08-13-2002 03:27 PM

First off 20's DO fit an e30. It has been done. You can't really do any suspension stuff however with a rim that big. I think he's doing the right thing staying with 16's as a larger rim really does slow you down. (wanna talk physics? :huh?: )

I'm curious as to what type of suspension mods your gonna do? Thats alot of weight upfront. Also are you going with a different brake setup as well?

Off hand anyone know exactly what engine that is so I don't have to go look it up?

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:30 PM

Oh yeah i almsot forgot nice part about the v8 is it came with a 6 speed manual.that's a plus for sure its' gonna be preety crazy once i hit the pedal. my goal isnt to get it o go fast but just to make it fly low.

BmwE30S38 08-13-2002 03:39 PM

Suspension is getting remade everything fornt and back all custom probably out of titanium or magnesium to save some weight of the front with like i stated before 850csi springs brake setup as far as calipers go well first i'm going will all wheel disc brakes now calipers front i'm going with 13 or 14 inch rotors with 10 piston calipers in fornt as same for the back.