maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Oh yes, winters... and the cold... come one come all... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44162)

super_namer 11-15-2004 08:22 PM

Oh yes, winters... and the cold... come one come all...

i know kmohamed just posted a somewhat similar post about this but i thought this would benefit many people.

ok people, lets hear about your early morning prep when you start your cars in the morning...

me, i run the car and let it run for about 5-7 minutes until the temp gets to about mid-end of the blue and i drive pretty conservatively until it warms up a bit more... but i've been finding the colder the mornings get, the rougher the idle... and this isn't even very cold yet... so im getting worried....

what about you guys? do you warm up? if so for how long? what other prep have you done?

325isRED 11-15-2004 08:27 PM

I dont let it idle too long, 2 minutes max, and untill its well warmed up, i dont push it, or let it go over 3000 rpm...

koncise 11-15-2004 08:37 PM

i'm pretty sure my manual says not to warm it up for over a minute... and to drive off slowly after about a minute.

but f that.. i'm cold in the morning, i'm probly gettin a remote starter so i can walk right into a warm car...

super_namer 11-15-2004 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koncise
i'm pretty sure my manual says not to warm it up for over a minute... and to drive off slowly after about a minute.

but f that.. i'm cold in the morning, i'm probly gettin a remote starter so i can walk right into a warm car...

its getting so cold that my remote starter wont even start anymore... GURR!!!!

now i gotta go outside and actually start the car and run back inside like a little girl. haha

Gianpaolo_E46 11-15-2004 08:43 PM

i'll always let the car warm up until its either in the middle of the temp gauge or just at the first mark, and i'll leave the seat warmers on also so that when i get in the car its nice n warm

Understated 11-15-2004 08:45 PM

yeah car on...turn on heated seats run inside like pansy...run out a few minutes later to drive car on low idle with a warm tush :)

super_namer 11-15-2004 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T_DOT_BIMMER
i'll always let the car warm up until its either in the middle of the temp gauge or just at the first mark, and i'll leave the seat warmers on also so that when i get in the car its nice n warm

wow, middle of the temp gauge would take a good 30 min warmup in the winter for me... the 1st mark already takes a good 15 min

Gianpaolo_E46 11-15-2004 08:55 PM

no, its gotta be faster than that? unno havent had to do it in a while thank god, but now a days i'll let it run for 2 min while i go back in and grab my stuff

Understated 11-15-2004 09:01 PM

^^^ahhh the luxury of driving to school :(

Gianpaolo_E46 11-15-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superman87
yeah car on...turn on heated seats run inside like pansy...run out a few minutes later to drive car on low idle with a warm tush :)

:D lol the running like a pansy is key

Mystikal 11-15-2004 09:38 PM

It's pretty harsh on a car to have it warm up standing still, for a simple reason: the driveline is still cold. Having a warm engine and cold gearbox/clutch/diff isn't exactly a good combination. This is why remote starters are BAD.

I always start the car, take 20 secs or so to change the CD, then drive extremely slow (never going over 2000rpm) until I absolutely have to (401).

Mr seville 11-15-2004 09:41 PM

i giver to the redline(4500) straight out the driveway...it's like driving a trasport truck *th-up*

Gianpaolo_E46 11-15-2004 10:39 PM

even if the tranny is step.? i mean its got enough problems with it might as well add another, right?

oldskool3 11-15-2004 10:53 PM

I run out to my car turn it on run back in like a little girl and wait about ten minutes. by this time it is just leaving the blue and i try not to take it past 3000rpm until fully in the middle of the temp gauge.

dutty_mark3 11-15-2004 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mystikal
It's pretty harsh on a car to have it warm up standing still, for a simple reason: the driveline is still cold. Having a warm engine and cold gearbox/clutch/diff isn't exactly a good combination. This is why remote starters are BAD.

I always start the car, take 20 secs or so to change the CD, then drive extremely slow (never going over 2000rpm) until I absolutely have to (401).

werd.