maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   how to change brake lines (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43995)

BMW325BMW 11-12-2004 01:41 AM

how to change brake lines

K guys... really need your help on this one. I have to change the metal brake lines on the rear of my e30... the only real, major problem is, i dont know how. I have also come to realize that Hanes manuals suck. If anyone can point me in the direction of a website that shows a detailed step by step process on how to do this, it would be greatly appreciated. thanx

Eurostyle 11-12-2004 01:56 AM

My best advice is DONT! The brakes is not something you want to fu#k with, and old rusty lines can be a nightmare! If you start braking or stripping them you will end up needing more parts such as calipers or other lines. And in case you do get it, you still need to bleed the brakes, which again brings you to the calipers where you run into potential problems with the bleeder screws...So if you want to save youself a lot of time and agravation, get it done by someone, and start with some easyer jobs....

BMW325BMW 11-12-2004 02:11 AM

i've done all the easy stuff already... the calipers are new, and the flex hose's are new... now all i want to do the metal line because i broke one changing the flex hose, so might as well do both... also would you happen to know the thread pitch?

Jordan 11-12-2004 02:19 AM

Why do you "have" to replace the lines? Are they rusted out? Leaking? What?

If you do replace them keep in mind that you cannot buy the lines new from the dealer preshapped. You can order the line with fittings on each end, but it will be a straight section of line of the proper length (if you bend it perfectly) and you will have to bend it yourself.

Your best bet is to find a donor car to steal good lines off of.

Eurostyle 11-12-2004 02:19 AM

ok, is see you already ran into the problem i was talking about :D
Should be easyer from now on! Sorry, dont remember what the tread was...

BMW325BMW 11-12-2004 12:25 PM

thats the best news about it that i have heard... "it should get easier" i hope so, cause without brakes on the car, its alot easier to run it into a wall.

M50E30 11-12-2004 01:21 PM

Pick up some stainless braided lines.......you should be able to find a full kit for $160-$190.

BS87 11-12-2004 01:49 PM

Yeah, if you've got the rubber lines off to fix the metal one your broke, its worth it to throw some SS ones on there.

Boris The Blade 11-12-2004 05:08 PM

I changed all my brake lines and it was a BIATCH!!! Get a line wrench too.

I busted a brake line in the rear and when i went to change it I found that everything was seized. they suck and I'll never do it again!!! :mad:

everlast 11-15-2004 05:01 AM

Seriously, changing the line is a lot of work. I had the rear end out of my car (subframe and all) and got a line from a donor car. It was pretty simple, but still a huge PITA. Connecting the line at the master cylinder was hard, and I broke one small line coming out of the tblock. That wasn't too bad, I just bought a line bender and a bit of line and bent it up myself.

Good luck.