maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Audio/Sound (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Fiberglass kit - should I or shouldn't I? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3616)

Razkal 06-17-2002 12:57 AM

Fiberglass kit - should I or shouldn't I?

Hi all,

I have been in a constant battle in my head regarding the future of the exterior of my ride. I have an M3 kit and paint job owed to me and the car will be going in to the shop very soon to be done.

THe only thing that I wonder about now is that I drive my car in the winter and I have seen some fiberglass M3 kits on cars and they look too fake. After throwing a real set of 18" ACS on my car, I think it may be silly to do a fiberglass kit now.

I would get the real one if I could and if someone has a front bumper for a sedan (M3) I would be interested. The thing is that I recently bought a house and I can not afford to spend on a kit for my car for now. Thats why I was thinking of throwing the fiberglass kit on now and getting it painted....

What do u all think?? ANy ideas for me?? **Confused**:confused:

Gamite 06-17-2002 01:12 AM

Fiberglass kits are already very brittle. I'd say they're 'okay' for the summer, but if you drive your car in the winter, definately not!! Your going to have to repaint your bumper every spring time.

IMO fiberglass isnt very good....... NO OFFENCE RANDY!! :P

PCDawg 06-17-2002 01:18 AM

I would say no to fibreglass....

1) It would cheapen the look of your car.

2) Replica kits always do not fit properly and some work would be needed to fit it properly. ( involves modification and thus extra labour costs)

3) If u r gonna get 18" ACS or have them now, it means u gonna lower ur car, and with the kit close to the ground it can very easily crack. I've seen so many cracked bumpers (all fibreglass) on cars and they are not easy to fix. Speed bumps and raised driveways will be feared as extra caution going up and down them.

Razkal 06-17-2002 01:44 AM

Here is how the car is sitting now ....

http://members.rogers.com/razkal/101-0107_IMG.JPG

I am thinking that if I go with fiberglass, I am askin for trouble.

Jon@Bimmersport 06-18-2002 12:32 AM

hey razkal sick ride man...rims look amazing on ur ride with the drop, but i dunno bout fiberglass either i heard some bad shit about it. if u cant afford the oem kit dont get any kit until u can afford a urethane 1, for now jus get some euro lenses to make ur car look better! btw, u bought the wheels from wheel an tire zone? i remember the big white dude was jokes when my cuz was buyin shit from there.

Bill Gates 06-18-2002 01:25 AM

Hey Razkal,

i think your car looks awesome. you don't need to lower it anymore.

as for the fiberglass, i'm in the same boat. its alot cheaper, but i figure i owe it to my baby to put on a nice dress for her, so i decided to wait till next year and get the real mccoy. this way there's no regrets!

maybe head down to the next meet and talk to the guys who have them installed and have a look at their condition and see how often they paint it (if they do).

hmmm, with them nice shoes (your rims) she'll definitely love the nice dress (OEM bodykit). :)

bmer332i 06-18-2002 01:59 AM

The car looks sweet with the drop and the awesome wheels. I would not spoil the look of your car with a fiberglass kit. Fiberglass is not a good material for a daily street driven car. It's far too brittle and susceptible to damage. I would wait and save the money to buy an OEM M3 kit or an aftermarket kit made out of much more durable and flexible plastic.

Eurostyle 06-18-2002 02:05 AM

Car looks nice! Don't bother with M3 fiberglass kit! They look
fake! I know since i work with fiberglass and i can spot the real
from the replica a mile away!!! Fiberglass is OK if you want to get something different, that is not OEM, in which case you dont have much choice. You can also put a lower lip on your front bumper from a big company such as ACS, Hartge etc, and colour code the rest of the bumper. The result is just like geting a full skirt, only cheaper, easier and better quality!

Razkal 06-18-2002 08:44 AM

Thanks all for the feedback.

I think I am pretty much set in my head now regarding the kit. I will not get the kit. Maybe I will wait till next year and do it then or maybe save and get the real M3.

I think for now I will have the rockers painted with the rest of the car and it will probably make the car look alot lower as well.

If anyone knows where I can get the Reiger or ACS lower lip for a decent price, please let me know...

Thanks all and I will see ya on Sat! :)

WASABI 06-18-2002 09:32 AM

Very tough choice ...

1 Attachment(s)
Razkal, i went through the same thing a while back, and like you already probably know ... "you get what you pay for".

As you know, I have a fiberglass kit, and I could already see that I might have to replace it by end of next year, this is just due to stone chips. I looked under my car, through my front bumper cover and I could see pin size holes where the stone chips are.

I'm gonna look into urethane kits for sure next time!

here are some lip spoiler choices that I was looking into:

first choice, by AutoVogue, $400, only available in Euro.

WASABI 06-18-2002 09:33 AM

Hamman

1 Attachment(s)
$350US

WASABI 06-18-2002 09:35 AM

Hamman 2

1 Attachment(s)
I like a lot ... $379US

WASABI 06-18-2002 09:37 AM

Bavauto

1 Attachment(s)
DTM style ... $224US

WASABI 06-18-2002 09:41 AM

Front Bumper

1 Attachment(s)
I think this one IS urethane ... I wanted this one sooo bad ... but they wanted $650US.

some-one mentioned the RD lip ... $200-$250 from motronix, sorry no pic.

Razkal 06-18-2002 10:37 AM

Re: Front Bumper

Quote:

Originally posted by saj328
I think this one IS urethane ... I wanted this one sooo bad ... but they wanted $650US.

some-one mentioned the RD lip ... $200-$250 from motronix, sorry no pic.

Thats the one that I totally wanted as well. I would have had it if I did not buy my house, but I would rather trick out my house first.
I just picked up a 53" HD-TV so thats my new toy for now.... :)