maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   Z series (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   can't believe i waited this long... (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34464)

benchmark 05-07-2004 03:21 AM

can't believe i waited this long...

finally got my suspension done today. i had h&r/bilstein sports installed. what a difference!!

anyone who had been contemplating getting this setup should stop thinking about it and just do it. i've been waiting about 6 months to take the plunge...

although the suspension hasn't settled yet, it feels amazing...eliminates squat and dive almost completely. i also installed e46 m3 shock mounts and 10mm spring pads in the rear...

looks sweet!

MBeacher 05-08-2004 04:13 AM

I'm anxious to see the setup in person. I've been contemplating for the longest time what to do about my stock suspension (or if I should do anything at all for that matter). I've had someone (who is a semi-pro driver) tell me that changing the springs isn't a good idea since it will adversely affect the camber, but I'm no techie and it's always good to hear directly from other people's experiences in experimenting with different setups.

btw - your car simply rocks.... can't wait to see it now! btw - you still thinking of new rims also?

benchmark 05-08-2004 07:40 PM

thank you for your compliment!

mbeacher,

thanks! ya, i'm seriously starting to dig my PY coupe. first it was the small stuff like light bulbs and lenses...than sport button installs...then it became a suspension thing...now it's progressing closer to the 18" ssr gt3's....

question is, after that what's next?

:confused:

this is the bimmer i've modded, strangely....and it's my fourth.

i think i understand now why once people start they can't stop!

the butt strut/strong strut might be next...come to think about it.

Mystikal 05-08-2004 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MBeacher
I've had someone (who is a semi-pro driver) tell me that changing the springs isn't a good idea since it will adversely affect the camber, but I'm no techie and it's always good to hear directly from other people's experiences in experimenting with different setups.

With the very mild drop these street-oriented springs provide, the camber is hardly affected at all. The little it does change is actually a benefit to handling, and will cause very little if any additional tire wear. In the odd occurrence that the camber really is too negative, there are camber correction kits available from many aftermarket suspension companies.

MBeacher 05-08-2004 10:19 PM

Thanks for your insights, Mystikal. I guess if someone like myself isn't familar with suspension setups, regular street springs are probably a better route to go that more advanced setups like race springs or coilovers....

benchmark - I think the strong struts are also next on my list (front, butt, and maybe the body brace). Question is - which should go on first - new springs or the strong struts?

benchmark 05-09-2004 04:10 AM

suspension or struts?

i'd say start with the bilstein / h&r sports first...then do the strut bars, braces.

the camber won't be affected too much. the post suspension measurement the day of the work was a total of a 12mm drop front and 22mm drop rear...i'm sure this will continue to settle a little lower with time.

camber correction isn't necessary unless you drop a ton.

i can tell you that the car is chameleon-like with the new suspension....

a must have for any performance enthusiast....

if you're interested, i can hook you up with parts and labour at a reputable bmw dealership.

let me know.........

MBeacher 05-09-2004 11:49 PM

ok thanks. I will probably wait a while until I run into some cash, but I'll keep you in mind when that time comes!

btw - u coming out on either Saturday or Sunday next weekend with the roadster club?

benchmark 05-10-2004 05:30 AM

sunday niagara cruise

i think so, unless of course it rains....which it has been doing a lot lately:mad:

hope you to see you soon...is there a meeting this saturday?

MBeacher 05-11-2004 10:37 PM

yes - we still have our regular meeting on Saturday in addition to the cruise on Sunday. If you can only come to one, obviously try to make it to the cruise!