maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Springs are here :) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31005)

SebSter 03-17-2004 12:32 AM

Springs are here :)

New H&R's came in today, sittin in da box in my garage :D Gotta save up some money now to get em installed, apparently its gonna cost a bit more than i anticipated...

...Ah well, cant wait to get em on *wiggle*

Mystikal 03-17-2004 12:33 AM

How much you quoted? And from where?

BMW_M52_M20 03-17-2004 01:40 AM

Ahh, the joys of having avaliable techs and a shop at your own hands....lol, are you installing shocks as well?

burtonownz 03-17-2004 01:46 AM

If getting them installed by a "professional" turns out to not be practical enough, get a few of your friends together on a Saturday or something (tell them drinks are on you) and have them help you out. The proper amount of research and minute amount of guts is all that's needed to change them out...

Good luck. I can't wait to be at the same stage...

ZiMMie 03-17-2004 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by burtonownz
If getting them installed by a "professional" turns out to not be practical enough, get a few of your friends together on a Saturday or something (tell them drinks are on you) and have them help you out. The proper amount of research and minute amount of guts is all that's needed to change them out...

Good luck. I can't wait to be at the same stage...

dont u need a spring compressor for this type of job? :confused:

BMW BMXer 03-17-2004 01:50 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Mystikal
How much you quoted? And from where?
$0

if you are still in higschool do it in the autoshop like me.

Rears are super easy. One side of the front will take u awhile then the 2nd wil be a breeze.

T.Dot_E30 03-17-2004 01:50 AM

How much did you pay if u dont mind me asking? new or used?

A guy quoted me $350 for H&Rs.

Spaz 03-17-2004 02:06 AM

its pretty easy to install yourself, as long as you have a spring compressor (i say that, even thouhg i am a full time tech.)
if you live in vancouver pm and i can give u a hand....if not pack those babies up and send them my way ;)

BimmerKris 03-17-2004 02:25 AM

You can rent a good spring compresser from part sourse. they don;t charge anything to rent a tool. Or do what i did once, and wrap it up in a sheet, cover it in duct tape and stand back as you undo the last nut.

bmwm5lover 03-17-2004 03:29 PM

good stuff seba, whats the drop gonna be like? O, and does that mean that ur sticking ith the e30?

SebSter 03-17-2004 04:07 PM

ok.. we didnt ask my mechanic yet how much it would be, but my dad was freaking me out telling me how you have to take apart everything, compress the springs, etc..and then do a full allignment after the springs are installed, he was telling me the whole install would cost us in the range of 200-400 dollars.. i dunno much about it so i dunno if this is true or not

cause of that though, im sure i wont be doing the install by myself..

as for the other q's, the springs are brand new - they are h&r sports, cost me $450 overall, cause they are for an ix, and im only gonna be putting in the springs for now, new shocks may or may not come later, depends how much money i can save, aand the drop is supposed to be about 1.3 in the front, 1.2 in the back.... but ive been told i can expect a bit more than the estimated drop that they give ... all i wanted was to close up the fender gaps, im not looking to slam it since its my daily driver (and through the winter too)

BMW BMXer 03-17-2004 04:41 PM

Its not that big of a job. The rears are so simple. I did it with a wrench and a crow bar.

The fronts take time. I have not got it aligned since I got mine done.

SebSter 03-17-2004 04:42 PM

wont that cause really uneven wear on the tires though?

bmwm5lover 03-17-2004 04:55 PM

taking sharp turns, hitting curbs, going over potholes, are lal things that mess with ur alignemnt... dont worry too much seba....
As for getting them installed, when i got my e28 rear lowered, i paid 60 a side...so all together it wiuld have been~ 240, at this shop in scarbarough(bulgarian dude)

SebSter 03-17-2004 04:58 PM

yea terry i know.. but try telling that to my dad, when he says somethign there isnt much i can do about changing his mind

anyways lets hope ill have these babies on and running soon :) and yeah ill be sticking with the e30 for now *th-up*