maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Recommended shop for oil change (synthetic) in Mississauga (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30407)

323Ci-vm 03-08-2004 12:24 AM

Recommended shop for oil change (synthetic) in Mississauga

Any recommendations for good shops for syn oil change for bimmers? Dealers charge close to $100.

ZiMMie 03-08-2004 12:29 AM

lol a shop. Do it ur self. its just oil u dont need a shop to do it unless u r scared of gettin dirty,

323Ci-vm 03-08-2004 12:38 AM

Maybe I should try..but...

Maybe I will in time, but a bit concerned I maybe do something wrong (over fill it, strip the drain plug nut etc) that'll cause thousands in damage... kinda penny wise pound foolish ...

chitown 03-08-2004 12:40 AM

I dunno, I thought the same thing but when I saw a mechanic do it it's really easy. I'd do it myself but I don't have the jacks and stuff to do it, not much room to work with either :)

ZiMMie 03-08-2004 12:45 AM

It soo Easy i change my oil jwith my stock ack. Just keep chkin the dipstick to know when there is the right amount in there. if u want i will help u out. am home all weeek.

R_JAY 03-08-2004 01:13 AM

If you go to most shops alot of them will tell you that they don't carry the BMW filter and they'll have to order it. If they do have it then you can expect to pay an extra $15 or so for it. The synthetic oil is more dough too so by the time you're done it'll be pretty close to what the dealer is charging. Even if you go to Jiffy lube it'll be pretty close to a bill but I wouldn't recommend you to go there.
You could go to Chucks auto but they're in Etobicoke. They only deal with bimmers and alot of members go there for all kinds of work and parts.

T.Dot_E30 03-08-2004 01:26 AM

Do it yourself, like Zimmie said jus keep checking the dipstick. Throw in 4 bottles (4L) check the dip stick, if its bearly at the low mark, you probably need atleat 1L. Keep adding about 1/2 L and check until it gets to where it needs to be.

After you do it the first time you will know how much your car takes. probably like 4.5, 5L, 5.5L.

Oh ya almost forgot, once u think u have it at the right level, go start your car for 5-10sec. Go back and check ur oil, it will go down about 1cm, bcus before the oil filter was empty, now its full with oil. so top it up and your ready to go.

323Ci-vm 03-08-2004 03:07 AM

Thanks for the tips guys...

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys.

I think I'll try Chuck's for the short term and will try and do my next oil change myself later in summer. I agree, I just need to do it once or twice to get a feel for what to do right. Also, I may take up Zimmie on his offer (if it still stands..) later in summer when I try and do it myself. Also, I hear at times Walmart and Costco sometimes have specials on 5L Mobil 1 Synthetic so can save a few more $$ there.

///MsAniTy 03-08-2004 03:09 AM

hey dude check yr private messages i got a mechanic for u

328is_Perf 03-08-2004 03:11 AM

Dont use Autozone filter!!!!

i did once and when i pulled it out, it was all out of shape and not rigid anymore...

so now i get it done free at the dealer by my cousin.. yay!

chitown 03-08-2004 04:30 AM

I've been going to a guy in one of the areas in Mississauga where all the dealerships are. Forgot the name of the garage but he charges me about $35 for oil change + bmw filter.

SickFinga 03-08-2004 07:36 AM

Just got to Mr.Lube. It will cost around 110 bucks, to change synthetic oil.

SickFinga 03-08-2004 07:39 AM

Re: Thanks for the tips guys...

Quote:

Originally posted by 323Ci-vm
Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys.

I think I'll try Chuck's for the short term and will try and do my next oil change myself later in summer. I agree, I just need to do it once or twice to get a feel for what to do right. Also, I may take up Zimmie on his offer (if it still stands..) later in summer when I try and do it myself. Also, I hear at times Walmart and Costco sometimes have specials on 5L Mobil 1 Synthetic so can save a few more $$ there.

Changing the oil isnt a problem, dumping the used oil is a problem though.
By buying oil at canadian tire and oil filter at BMW, you will only save like 15-20 bucks. Those are the reasons why i dont do it.

But again, if you wanna do it, it is really easy, especially on a bimmer where oil filter is in the engine bay.

JazzM 03-10-2004 07:08 PM

Mr. Lube... or Mr. Do It Yourself (DIY)

T.