maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Suspensions (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29955)

boss 03-01-2004 05:36 PM

Suspensions

I would like to lower my car, but don't know what are the best options. The car is a 98 coupe, and my budget is about $1,200. If anyone can advise what is a good set up for spring/shock etc or if coilovers is the better way to go. Any advice is appreciated. Pics would be nice as well.

Thanks

WASABI 03-01-2004 06:09 PM

You've got a lot of options around that price range. Contact the sponsors here for some pricing on FK/Bilstein coilovers (height adjustable only), might get a tad over $1200 though, like $1300-$1400. For just spring/shock combo, I'd recommend H&R with Bilstein.

boss 03-01-2004 07:23 PM

what is the price difference between the H&R with Bilstein shocks/springs, compared to the FK/Bilstein coils? would I need anything extra for either? ex camber kit? Thanks

thinair 03-02-2004 06:43 AM

I guess it depends on what do you plan on doing with your car, do you want to lower the car for performance or looks. Do you have big wheels? Do you need the option of adjusting the height of your car?

A camber kit generally isn't needed unless you're really dumping your car. If you're doing something like a 2" drop you'll be fine without camber adjusters, unless you're tracking your car.

WASABI 03-02-2004 03:25 PM

The price difference are probably around $300-$400. I think they both perform well (Spring/Shock combo and Coilovers). It just depends if you want adjustability for the reasons Thinair pointed out.

I'm still debating whether to go coilovers. I really want them to fine-tune the height I want, but I've had coilovers before, and once I've set them to the height I want, that was that, I never touched them again. But, when you up-size your wheels, then you might want to adjust them again. But what puts me off spring/shock combos is that the lowering height is "uneven" front and rear, but there are ways to get around that I guess. I'm lost, but I'm looking into Ground Control coilovers, FK, and Bilstein PSS (last choice because of the spacer issue).

boss 03-02-2004 03:36 PM

thanks for your help guys...

bart320i 03-02-2004 10:32 PM

yeah my car is a little uneven. I'd like to know how to fix that, if I can't I'm gonna go for the OBX sleeves.

boss 03-03-2004 02:44 AM

I'm leaning towards the H&R sport and Bilstein shocks. Anyone have this set up who can post pic, or add comments?

Thanks

WASABI 03-04-2004 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by bart320i
yeah my car is a little uneven. I'd like to know how to fix that, if I can't I'm gonna go for the OBX sleeves.
I "raised" the rear a bit by adding two rubber spring seats (they look like very large rubber washers). I've heard you actually buy ones in the desired size.