maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   What Uprades = HP (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29151)

BimmerKris 02-18-2004 03:22 AM

What Uprades = HP

What upgrades are the best for a 2.7 motor. What are the real ratings after they are installed.

I have seen chips that say they are good for 28hp
and cool air intake that is good for 15 hp
that seems pretty high to me

maybe you guys know what are good uprgades and what power they produce.

SpoolinS6 02-18-2004 03:30 AM

i say get a 2.5 head from a 325I motor
thats what id do to start off !

felixthecat 02-18-2004 03:39 AM

the best upgrage for the $ on any 4 stroke engine is freeing up exhaust gas back pressure.next to that id have to say machining the head.the "tornado"is also "best bang for the buck"

Jase 02-18-2004 03:40 AM

chip, better intake will help too, exhaust is another .

lvan 02-18-2004 04:26 AM

I dont belif you can get 28 hp outta chip and 15 from intake. Most of E30 2.7 or 325E have over 200 000km.
That means the engine has about 100hp stock . I heard how mileage kills the hp.. I think 15hp outta chip plus 15 for inatke works out to 25hp max.The stock engine has 122 hp but as I said it goes down after many km. I think to trow intake and chip is ok but not sure how differencial mode goes.

chromius 02-18-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by lvan
I dont belif you can get 28 hp outta chip and 15 from intake. Most of E30 2.7 or 325E have over 200 000km.
That means the engine has about 100hp stock . I heard how mileage kills the hp.. I think 15hp outta chip plus 15 for inatke works out to 25hp max.The stock engine has 122 hp but as I said it goes down after many km. I think to trow intake and chip is ok but not sure how differencial mode goes.

Thats all subjective, high milage dosen't mean you loose HP nessesairly, it all depends how the car was taken care of....and even still you would not loose a whole 22HP unless your piston rings or head gasket were so bad that you couldn't get compression, but in that case the lost power would be the least of your worries.

As for the chip and intake, realistically you would probably be looking at 15HP gain 20lbft tourque with the chip and at the most 3hp with the intake...but probably not even that because you are restricted by the MAF. Go for the chip, MAF upgrade, Catback exhaust, and then air intake/throttle body. and go "I" head for a really mean machine.*th-up*

lvan 02-18-2004 03:41 PM

If you think so then perfect. Thats is just what I heard. I know if the engine is take care if it should be fine. Now about mileage killing hp not so sure. any wayz chip + some nice inatke should make a diff.

jimmyd1 02-18-2004 05:15 PM

Here is what I would do, provided you've got some money to spend. 325i head, 524td crank and either I or custom pistons, plus the i wiring harness, sensors, M30 AFM and injectors, and the exhaust system from a 325i and you'll have yourself a 328i. BTW, don't bolt a 325i head on to 86 or 87 e or es block, you will reduce your CR to between 8.3 and 8.5 to 1, because the combustion chambers differ and the pistons are different.

lvan 02-18-2004 06:51 PM

E to I swap is the best thing to do but to me it is bit more pricy.Maybe it is not but for your car and + cash for mods you can have 325I.mAYBE i AM WRONG BUT THAT is just what i see.

chromius 02-18-2004 07:00 PM

personnaly I would take the 325e with the 2.8i stroker conversion....ie. "i" head swap, over just the 325i....the gains are tremendous. check this site for the full details on doing it. Very comprehensive and you can see the gains are amazing. you can squeeze out 180hp 190lbs/ft or add a few more mods and 205HP is what you get. (crank HP) Those are some pretty good gains. not to mention the flatter torque/HP curves.

http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/328i_1.html

Digitalwave 02-18-2004 08:35 PM

The best upgrade to get HP is an engine swap...

Also, when chips claim a 28hp gain, its not a PEAK gain. Like if your car has 125hp a chip doesn't make it 153hp. The gains are in the mid range, and the peak gains are small. Like on an M20B25, chips claim a 15hp increase. Well, that is at like 4,400 RPM. You actually only gain 2-3hp at the peak, making it go from 168 to 170-171 theoretically.

Mystikal 02-18-2004 09:20 PM

Nothing besides a chip will give you anything worthwhile unless you get into "ita" conversions. Intake won't do anything worthwhile either, don't believe the claims.

BimmerKris 02-18-2004 11:00 PM

I'm lookin for someone who knows from experenice. I have heard from many sources that an i head on an e block is not what everyone makes it out to be. It make output worse. I have already had the head planed 30thous and it bumped compression to 9.5:1. You can't reach that with an i block. In fact the only head that will add power to an e block is a head off an E36 2.0 motor. That will raise up to 30 hp. This i know for a fact. It's just not cheap.

As for exhuast i have that done already. I totally rebuild the motor, doin little things to it that freed up power.

the dyno read 138 hp
with 185ft/lbs of torque
that was with a faulty o2 senser

i have also heard from many sources (including BMW) that cool air intake is one of the best things you can do to the motor. when These cars came off the line BMW purposely restricted airflow and exhaust to make the motor quieter.

what have you guys done to your cars to improve performance? I know what can be done. I am more curious to see what is worth doing

Digitalwave 02-19-2004 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by BimmerKris
I'm lookin for someone who knows from experenice. I have heard from many sources that an i head on an e block is not what everyone makes it out to be. It make output worse. I have already had the head planed 30thous and it bumped compression to 9.5:1. You can't reach that with an i block. In fact the only head that will add power to an e block is a head off an E36 2.0 motor. That will raise up to 30 hp. This i know for a fact. It's just not cheap.

As for exhuast i have that done already. I totally rebuild the motor, doin little things to it that freed up power.

the dyno read 138 hp
with 185ft/lbs of torque
that was with a faulty o2 senser

i have also heard from many sources (including BMW) that cool air intake is one of the best things you can do to the motor. when These cars came off the line BMW purposely restricted airflow and exhaust to make the motor quieter.

what have you guys done to your cars to improve performance? I know what can be done. I am more curious to see what is worth doing

Both of these facts are wrong. BMW's have very free flowing exhausts, thats why aftermarket exhausts are for looks/sound. And the filter is not the problem with the intake, its the AFM and the 2 vavle per cylinder head.

E36 heads do not fit on E30 engines. And a new O2 sensor really won't make a difference on dyno numbers.

Mystikal 02-19-2004 02:34 AM

Ahhhh...that felt good to read. Thank you.