maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E36 (1991 - 1999) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Fiberglass front bumper - yay or nay? (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28404)

Powerslide 02-05-2004 10:27 PM

Fiberglass front bumper - yay or nay?

Are fiberglass front replicas ok, or should we stay away from them?
thanks!

-KC

Soldo 02-05-2004 11:02 PM

NAYYYY!
Depends too, if you EVER plan on lowering the vehicle, than HELLLLLL NO!
Not worth the risk!

The ONLY serious upside to FG is that its easier to repair when damaged, i think!

And the little stuff, like its lighter, and all that, but it is NOT strong, so in the end you just MIGHT end up spendin more constantly replacing the fg pieces!

thinair 02-05-2004 11:24 PM

I really depends on how the fibreglass piece is made, and how it's painted.

If the painting job sucks, fibreglass is going to have paint chips everywhere. Also, with any semi-hard hit the bumper will break, not flex. That said fibreglass is repairable too to a point.

Personally I'd have no problem using a fibreglass kit if I knew it was built well.

Eurostyle 02-06-2004 12:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
NAYYYY!
Depends too, if you EVER plan on lowering the vehicle, than HELLLLLL NO!
Not worth the risk!

The ONLY serious upside to FG is that its easier to repair when damaged, i think!

And the little stuff, like its lighter, and all that, but it is NOT strong, so in the end you just MIGHT end up spendin more constantly replacing the fg pieces!

You mean low like this!? That bumper has been on the car for almost 3 years and driven in Montreal (we all know how good the roads are there!). Last time thing i know it only had a few scratches on the bottom where its not visible. Almost ANY kind of damage is repairable on a fiberglass piece, but not so much on plastic unless you go for plastic welding which is big $$$. I have seen $800+ plastic bumpers ruined from a litlle "tap" in a parking lot!

Powerslide 02-06-2004 12:38 AM

i was looking at an M3 front bumper replica made of fiberglass. i think it might end up pretty low but im not sure

Eurostyle 02-06-2004 12:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Powerslide
i was looking at an M3 front bumper replica made of fiberglass. i think it might end up pretty low but im not sure
Best thing you can do to protect it (if you end up doing for it) is to get a diffuser made (from aluminum or even fiberglass). I have one on my car and it saves me from scratching it when i get in my driveway (my car is 3" lowered!)

Powerslide 02-06-2004 06:23 AM

re you going to part our that diffuser?

WASABI 02-06-2004 01:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think they are a great alternative. I've had mine for over two years, but mind you I don't drive the car in the winter. They do tend to be more prone to stonechips, but that can be fixed with better paint quality and/or 3M. If the car is really low, then you just have to be more careful.

suicide 02-06-2004 06:43 PM

f/g bumper good if its made well.. Eurostyle made my rep.. and its one of the nices rep i have even seen.. :-)

Eurostyle 02-06-2004 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by suicide
f/g bumper good if its made well.. Eurostyle made my rep.. and its one of the nices rep i have even seen.. :-)
Thanks*wave* I'm very happy to see it on such an amazing project as yours!