maXbimmer Forums

maXbimmer Forums (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/index.php)
-   E30 (1983 - 1991) (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   E30 cought fire (http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27024)

MeAtWork 01-12-2004 02:25 PM

E30 cought fire

Last saturday my beloved E30 cought fire under the hood. After a friend ran thru 2 streets and got back with his car and a fire extinguisher (dunno how to spell it) the horror got to an end. The people from the fire department who arrived little later made sure it was really over by spraying some water on the engine and cables etc.

(Luckely) the damage is only under the hood and not the interior etc..and the paint on the hood is wasted.

Needless to say that this is very ****ed up and I'm very dissapointed because my dream car is now ruined. Because I'm not a mechanic, I want to start a new fulltime study in septembre and the needed financial isn't there I think I'm forced to sell the car like it is now and hope to get some cash for it.

djcontra 01-12-2004 02:53 PM

holy crap, that's awful! As long as you're okay though, that's all that really matters. When you're finished your studies, I'm SURE you'll get an amazing career and have more than enough money to buy another bmw. (maybe even an e30 w/ m5 engine :))

Jase 01-12-2004 05:44 PM

I would say park the car dont get rid of it. You won't get much with the engine fire.So you can save here and there and put a m50 in.
*th-up*

Manimillion 01-12-2004 07:00 PM

Sorry to hear that. If you lived in North America I would have bought your car off you if you wanted to sell it as is.

Mitch555 01-12-2004 10:33 PM

Oh man!!!

Sorry to hear!! Such a loss can be devastating!!!

All that hard work throughout the years and bam, gone in a matter of minutes!!!

Euro_E30 01-12-2004 11:48 PM

sorry to hear about that bro i know how it feels the exact same thing to to my first white e30 it really sucks man....*thmbsdwn* *thmbsdwn*

A~G 01-13-2004 12:10 AM

how did that happen??? i skimmed through the posts but didn't see the answer anywhere... i'm in class right now... boring uoft computer programming course... don't have time to read all.

planning to get my own E30 dream car soon...need pointers.. :)

DAM 01-13-2004 12:34 AM

Ya, how did it happen? Well, i am really sorry to hear that, i went through a similar experience a few years ago with a 79 fiat spider. My father and i spent countless hours on the car over the winter, it was mint when we finnished. The first time we took it out, it was written off due to some stupid new yorker.

So, we have both stupidly lost a nice car that we loved

crazyvadim 01-13-2004 04:56 AM

i would guess electrical fire??

Bob Loblaw 01-13-2004 01:01 PM

That's too bad. I hope you can fix it without too much cost to you. What's the actual extent of the engine damage? Maybe you'll just have to replace a few hoses and wires? I hope everything works out for you. If not, time for an engine upgrade. :)

Hartge H26 01-13-2004 03:04 PM

sad to hear, my buddies convertible caught fire last year due to a cracked fuel line to the injector rail. luckly we put it out in thime and damage was minor.

Let me know what you are doing with your car, as I'd love to buy your rims and maybe some other tiems to help ovset your loss.

thanks

MeAtWork 01-13-2004 06:35 PM

Hartge H26: I'm from the Netherlands so buying my rims etc. could get a little difficult I guess, not to mention the costs u have to pay to ship and import the stuff.

The car didn't run ok for a while and smelled like fuel now and then. the day that it cought fire before I took off to drop a friend at his house, this friend noticed too that it smelled like fuel, even more then usual if I think about it now. So my guess is, also because a fuel line nearby the injectors is burned in its total and the injectors are melted (Think a friend said that those were the injectors, don't know too much about cars myself) that some fuel got onto the exhaust or something like that and set the whole thing on fire.

Because of the bad running engine this friend had worked on the car for a while the last 2 weeks even the day it got burned, but couldn't find why it was running so bad. He replaced a part (dunno how to call it in english, but I think the sparkplug wires go to that part) and stopped a leak in the exhaust, but still no progress. So he feels really bad now too because he thinks if he had find the problem maybe this never happend.

Thanx for the reactions!

blacknblue-e30 01-13-2004 11:30 PM

thats terrible to hear bro! but if you can, i would just save the car, park it somewhere, and when the time is right, drop somethin redic into that hood and create a new dream car!!

Hartge H26 01-15-2004 03:17 PM

check you PM

BladeRunner 01-17-2004 01:07 AM

You didn't say the cause, so do you know the cause? That might be a sign, upgrade time to M20 if you didn't already have one or M50. In addition, to a few suspension and brake upgrades here and there.